President Lee expresses regret over individuals' drone flights into North Korea

President Lee Jae Myung expressed regret on Monday over drone flights by individuals into North Korea that caused unnecessary military tension with Pyongyang. He made the remarks during a cabinet meeting after prosecutors indicted three people last week for flying drones there between September and January. The indicted include a graduate student in his 30s, a National Intelligence Service employee and a military officer.

President Lee Jae Myung said during the cabinet meeting, "Although this was not an act by our government, I express regret to the North Korean side over the unnecessary military tension caused by such reckless behavior." This marks the first time he has expressed regret directly to North Korea, though he has criticized the drone incursions on several occasions previously.

Lee stressed that civilians are prohibited from unauthorized acts that could provoke North Korea, and even actions necessary for national strategy must be handled with utmost caution. "It is deeply regrettable that individuals carried out such provocative acts toward North Korea on their own," he said, calling them "unacceptable."

He addressed anxiety among residents near border areas and urged relevant ministries to revise regulations and take swift measures to prevent recurrences. "We need to carefully consider who such actions are really meant to benefit," Lee said.

Since taking office in June 2025, Lee has extended an olive branch to resume dialogue with Pyongyang, but North Korea rebuffed those overtures, formally describing South Korea as the "most hostile state" in a parliamentary speech last month. Amid a shifting global landscape, he emphasized Seoul's responsible role in maintaining peace on the Korean Peninsula.

Labaran da ke da alaƙa

President Lee Jae-myung speaks at March 1 ceremony, pledging respect for North Korea and peninsula peace.
Hoton da AI ya samar

Lee Jae-myung vows respect for North Korea's system in March 1 address

An Ruwaito ta hanyar AI Hoton da AI ya samar

President Lee Jae-myung pledged on March 1 to respect North Korea's political system and refrain from hostile actions during a ceremony marking the 107th anniversary of the March First Independence Movement. He emphasized building peace on the Korean Peninsula and vowed to facilitate the resumption of dialogue between the two Koreas and between Pyongyang and Washington. Lee also promised a thorough investigation into recent drone incursions and measures to prevent recurrence.

A North Korean first vice foreign minister described Kim Yo-jong's statement on South Korea as a 'clear warning,' dismissing Seoul's positive assessment as a 'wishful interpretation.' The remarks by Jang Kum-chol follow President Lee Jae Myung's expression of regret over drone incursions into the North. He urged South Korea to acknowledge its wrongdoing and refrain from approaching North Korea.

An Ruwaito ta hanyar AI

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed North Korea launched an unidentified projectile from the Pyongyang area on Tuesday. The projectile, believed fired in the morning, apparently failed shortly after. The launch came a day after President Lee Jae-myung expressed regret over drone flights by South Korean individuals into the North.

Wannan shafin yana amfani da cookies

Muna amfani da cookies don nazari don inganta shafin mu. Karanta manufar sirri mu don ƙarin bayani.
Ƙi