Takaichi asks IEA chief for additional oil stockpile release

Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi met IEA Executive Director Fatih Birol on Wednesday, requesting preparations for an additional coordinated oil stockpile release to hedge against a prolonged Middle East conflict. Birol said the agency is ready to proceed if necessary.

Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi met International Energy Agency Executive Director Fatih Birol in Tokyo on Wednesday, asking for preparations toward an additional coordinated release of oil stockpiles as Japan seeks to counter risks from a prolonged Middle East conflict. In a social media post, Takaichi said, 'In preparation for the possibility that the situation becomes prolonged, I asked that preparations be made for an additional coordinated release. We will continue to work closely with the IEA.' Birol responded after the meeting, 'If and when necessary, we are ready to move forward, but I very much hope that it will not be necessary.' The 400 million barrel joint release agreed on March 11 covers only 20% of the oil and oil-product stocks held by IEA-coordinating consuming nations, Birol noted. On Tuesday, Takaichi announced Japan would also open joint oil stockpiles co-owned with producing nations. The request comes amid an Iran war disrupting Middle East flows and the closure of the Strait of Hormuz. Hitoshi Nagasawa, chairman of the Japan Shipowners' Association and head of NYK Group, said 45 Japan-related ships remain stranded in the Gulf. Earlier this week in Australia ahead of a Group of Seven meeting, Birol said the IEA is consulting Asian and European governments on further releases 'if necessary.'

Artikel Terkait

Illustration depicting Tokyo stocks plummeting amid Middle East tensions over Iran and Bank of Japan economic warnings.
Gambar dihasilkan oleh AI

Tokyo stocks fall for third day amid Middle East tensions, economic concerns

Dilaporkan oleh AI Gambar dihasilkan oleh AI

Tokyo stocks declined for a third consecutive day as tensions escalated in the Middle East over Iran. Bank of Japan Governor Kazuo Ueda warned of significant potential impacts on the economy, while the government stated there would be no immediate disruptions to oil supplies.

Japan's Economic Security Minister Sanae Takaichi confirmed on April 10 that the country will release more oil from its national stockpiles next month, following initial draws in March amid Middle East war disruptions.

Dilaporkan oleh AI

Following market volatility from initial reports of a potential release, the International Energy Agency (IEA) has unanimously agreed to draw down 400 million barrels of emergency oil reserves—its largest ever—to combat surging energy prices due to Middle East conflict disrupting the Strait of Hormuz. Executive Director Fatih Birol called the oil market challenges 'unprecedented,' with stability depending on resuming Hormuz transit after prices hit nearly $120 a barrel.

A Kyodo News poll shows Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi's cabinet approval dipping 0.3 points to 63.8% from March. Nearly half of respondents, 49.3%, deemed her response to oil supply disruptions from the Iran war insufficient, with disapproval rising to 26.0%. Public concern over the Middle East conflict has intensified.

Dilaporkan oleh AI

The OPEC+ alliance is set to consider a larger-than-expected increase in oil supplies during its Sunday meeting, according to a delegate, following US and Israeli air strikes on targets inside Iran. This potential shift in production strategy comes amid military escalation threatening global energy flows. Israel’s Energy Ministry has ordered the temporary closure of several offshore natural gas fields due to security assessments.

Amid U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran that killed Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the Korean government stated that oil and gas supplies remain stable for now. Emergency meetings confirmed reserves of several months' worth of oil and gas exceeding mandatory levels. However, preparations are underway for potential risks from the Strait of Hormuz closure, including alternative routes and support measures.

Dilaporkan oleh AI

U.S. President Donald Trump praised Japanese politician Sanae Takaichi ahead of a US-Japan summit, highlighting Japan's 'stepping up to the plate' on Iran by joining a European-led joint statement on securing the Strait of Hormuz.

 

 

 

Situs web ini menggunakan cookie

Kami menggunakan cookie untuk analisis guna meningkatkan situs kami. Baca kebijakan privasi kami untuk informasi lebih lanjut.
Tolak