Use of trolls to defend DICT chief draws criticism

A digital ethics advocate raised concerns over an apparent coordinated troll attack on an online news report over the weekend about the imminent replacement of ICT Secretary Henry Rhoel Aguda. Suspicious accounts appeared in the comments within an hour, dismissing the article as 'fake news'. Aguda responded that he does not know the critic and his mandate is to clean the internet of harmful content.

In Manila, Philippines, artificial intelligence researcher Dominic Ligot raised concerns over apparent coordinated inauthentic behavior in the comments section of a Bilyonaryo.com report published on March 13, 2026, about the imminent replacement of ICT Secretary Henry Rhoel Aguda with former presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda. Within an hour of publication, Ligot noted suspicious accounts dismissing the article as “fake news” in varied ways and seconds apart, showing red flags like identical creation dates and content associated with troll farms. In his social media post titled “Politics of Perception,” Ligot observed these accounts were sympathetic to Aguda’s retention and critical of any replacement move. “Our research shows that harm happens when narratives are boosted through coordinated networks or influence campaigns. A few posts can suddenly look like a mass movement. That can distort public debate. What we’re seeing here looks like a textbook example,” Ligot said. He added, “A news article appears. Then coordinated voices flood the conversation to reshape the narrative. Maybe it’s organic support. Maybe it’s not. But if amplification is happening to protect a government official, we have to ask a bigger question – where is the ethics?” Asked by The STAR, Aguda replied: “I don’t know him. My mandate is to clean the internet of harmful and misleading content.” He did not directly address Ligot’s concerns. Ligot said this raises serious concerns on the ethical uses of amplifying or distorting online conversations.

Artikel Terkait

Department of Information and Communications Technology Secretary Henry Rhoel Aguda denied reports that he had resigned, as rumors of cabinet changes under President Marcos continued to spread.

Dilaporkan oleh AI

Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. filed separate cyberlibel cases against fugitive Zaldy Co and lawyer Levito Baligod, representing 18 alleged bagmen. The action follows corruption accusations. Laurel denied claims of his involvement in kickbacks and smuggling.

South Africa's Electoral Commission has raised alarms over the rapid spread of disinformation on social media ahead of the November 4 local government elections. Outreach deputy CEO Victor Shale highlighted how peddlers create new crises daily, outpacing current safeguards.

Dilaporkan oleh AI

The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) is studying a potential ban on the encrypted messaging app Telegram due to concerns over illegal activities like pornography and gambling. This follows a similar proposal for Signal earlier in the month. Rights groups worry about impacts on private communication rights.

Situs web ini menggunakan cookie

Kami menggunakan cookie untuk analisis guna meningkatkan situs kami. Baca kebijakan privasi kami untuk informasi lebih lanjut.
Tolak