Family of missing German journalist demands answers from Syrian regime

The family of German journalist Eva Maria Michelmann, missing in Syria for over two and a half months, demands that the Syrian transitional government disclose what it knows about the case. A new witness statement points to involvement by regime-aligned militias. Germany's Foreign Ministry confirms it is still working on the case.

Eva Maria Michelmann, 36, went missing in January in Raqqa during an offensive by Syrian government troops and allied Islamist militias in a previously Kurdish-controlled area. Witnesses reported that she was taken with Kurdish journalist Ahmed Polad into a vehicle linked to transitional government forces.

A Kurdish web portal has published an interview with Jassem Mohammed, who claims to have witnessed the incident on January 18 at the Al-Shabiba youth center. Michelmann aimed to document the war and the resurgence of IS. Mohammed recognized a high-ranking militia commander from the Syrian regime's power apparatus.

While most of the group escaped with help from local security forces, the journalists were taken away separately. Her brother Antonius Michelmann from Cologne told DER SPIEGEL: "It is now no longer possible for the Syrian transitional regime to cite the unclear situation or lack of knowledge." He expects concrete results from Germany's Foreign Ministry.

A Foreign Ministry spokesperson said current developments would not be commented on due to privacy reasons. As of late March, it was stated: "We are on it." This coincided with the visit of Syrian transitional president Ahmed al-Sharaa to Berlin.

Articoli correlati

Chancellor Merz at press conference softening Syrian return policy stance as AfD's Weidel demands action.
Immagine generata dall'IA

Merz softens stance on Syrian returns as AfD pushes for action

Riportato dall'IA Immagine generata dall'IA

One day after announcing that up to 80 percent of Syrians in Germany should return home, Chancellor Friedrich Merz has distanced himself from the figure. He now emphasizes coordination with Syrian President Ahmed al-Scharaa. AfD leader Alice Weidel calls for immediate returns and a naturalization moratorium, while critics highlight integration and security concerns.

Federal Chancellor Friedrich Merz and Federal President Frank-Walter Steinmeier are hosting Syria’s interim president Ahmed al-Sharaa in Berlin on his first visit to Germany. The talks focus on repatriation of Syrian refugees and reconstruction of the civil war-torn country. Protests are planned in Berlin at the same time.

Riportato dall'IA

Armed men abducted American journalist Shelly Kittleson from her car in Baghdad on March 31, as captured on CCTV footage. Iraqi security forces pursued the kidnappers, arresting one suspect linked to the Iran-backed militia Kataib Hezbollah after their vehicle overturned. The US State Department confirmed it had warned Kittleson of threats and is coordinating with the FBI for her release.

La guerra in Iran desta preoccupazioni per una potenziale ondata migratoria verso l'Europa. Il cancelliere tedesco Friedrich Merz ha chiesto di prevenire movimenti incontrollati dall'Iran, mentre le organizzazioni internazionali avvertono di un'emergenza umanitaria. Nonostante 100.000 partenze da Teheran, non si è ancora osservata alcuna ondata alle frontiere.

Riportato dall'IA

Thousands of Swedes are stranded across the Middle East after Israeli and US attacks on Iran killed Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, paralyzing air traffic. This follows earlier UD advisories urging citizens to leave Iran amid deadly protests. Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard now calls for registration on the UD's crisis list and downloading the Resklar app, warning of escalation risks and evacuation challenges due to closed airspace. EU nations are coordinating citizen protection.

Questo sito web utilizza i cookie

Utilizziamo i cookie per l'analisi per migliorare il nostro sito. Leggi la nostra politica sulla privacy per ulteriori informazioni.
Rifiuta