80-year-old driver avoids prison after killing family at San Francisco bus stop

An 80-year-old California woman who struck and killed a family of four waiting at a bus stop has received probation instead of jail time. Mary Fong Lau pleaded no contest to vehicular manslaughter charges for the deaths of Diego Cardoso de Oliveira, Matilde Moncado Ramos Pinto, and their two young children. San Francisco Superior Court Judge Bruce Chan cited her age and lack of criminal history in the sentencing.

On March 16, 2024, Diego Cardoso de Oliveira, 40, his wife Matilde Moncado Ramos Pinto, 38, and their infant and toddler were waiting at a bus stop near the West Portal Muni station in San Francisco, heading to the zoo to celebrate their anniversary. Mary Fong Lau, 80, driving a Mercedes SUV at about 70 mph, crashed into them, killing all four instantly. Lau pleaded no contest last month to four counts of vehicular manslaughter. On Friday, Judge Bruce Chan sentenced her to two years of probation and a three-year driver's license suspension, sparing her prison time. The judge considered Lau's age, clean record, and remorse, according to reports from KRON. Lau initially told an eyewitness she accidentally pressed the gas instead of the brakes. Later, at the hospital, she claimed a vehicle malfunction caused sudden acceleration, and she unsuccessfully tried to brake and shift into park. The victims' family expressed disappointment. Oliveira's sister said, 'Diego and his family were simply going to the zoo on a Sunday morning, celebrating their anniversary. The consequences … for her actions are not a true match for the size of the tragedy.' Pinto's brother wrote in a victim impact statement, 'She was denied the right to continue being a mother — something she had looked forward to all her life.' Ramos Pinto's brother opposed reduced charges, stating, 'no evidence has been provided that would suggest this isn't gross negligence.' The family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Lau, accusing her of concealing assets. They are represented by attorney Jim Quadra.

관련 기사

Dramatic highway crash scene in Cañuelas involving model Barby Franco, her daughter, and an elderly wrong-way driver.
AI에 의해 생성된 이미지

Barby Franco calls 85-year-old driver 'killer behind the wheel' after Cañuelas crash

AI에 의해 보고됨 AI에 의해 생성된 이미지

Following the three-car collision on Route 3 in Cañuelas that involved Argentine model Barby Franco and her three-year-old daughter, Franco expressed fury on Instagram at the 85-year-old pickup truck driver who caused it by going the wrong way. The Buenos Aires provincial Ministry of Transport has suspended his license preventively.

A 35-year-old woman faces vehicular manslaughter charges after striking and killing 15-year-old Juliani 'Gio' Moreno while he crossed the street with his girlfriend in Parlier, California. The driver then crashed into a nearby flower shop. The boy was pronounced dead at the scene.

AI에 의해 보고됨

An 18-year-old driver in Tucson, Arizona, received a 2.5-year prison sentence for leaving the scene of a fatal collision that killed a 75-year-old grandmother last November. Alexis Eduardo Ibarra-Guerrero struck Sally Alcaraz Rodriguez as she walked to a bus stop, then drove off after briefly stopping. The collision was ruled accidental, sparing him charges related to her death.

A 37-year-old man in Philadelphia faces murder charges after allegedly striking a woman with his SUV in a hit-and-run that killed her. The incident sent the victim flying 20 feet into the air, knocking off her sneakers and jewelry. Police identified the suspect following the November 2024 crash.

AI에 의해 보고됨

An Ohio man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison after pleading no contest to DUI manslaughter in a crash that killed an elderly couple in Sarasota County, Florida. Fred Donaldson, 48, had a blood alcohol content twice the legal limit when he ran David and Katherine Henson off Interstate 75 on December 14. The Hensons, both in their 60s, died at the scene after their vehicle struck a tree.

A Florida man who drove a golf cart while intoxicated, leading to his wife's fatal fall, was sentenced to probation. St. Johns County Circuit Judge Casey L. Woolsey imposed 364 days of probation and a six-month driver's license suspension on Angelo Theodosiou after he pleaded no contest to DUI. The incident occurred last November in St. Johns County.

AI에 의해 보고됨

A domestic violence suspect fleeing police in Pomona, California, slammed into a car carrying a pregnant woman and her boyfriend, killing all three, authorities said. Marshall Judson faces three counts of murder after the Wednesday night crash. The victims were 25-year-old Jennifer Loera-Zarco, 26-year-old Marc Anthony Trejo Saldivar, and their unborn son.

 

 

 

이 웹사이트는 쿠키를 사용합니다

사이트를 개선하기 위해 분석을 위한 쿠키를 사용합니다. 자세한 내용은 개인정보 보호 정책을 읽으세요.
거부