France deems US exclusion of South Africa from G20 summit unacceptable

The French foreign ministry has told the United States it is unacceptable to exclude South Africa from the 2026 G20 Summit in Florida. This follows the withdrawal of an invitation for President Cyril Ramaphosa to the G7 Summit in Evian, which South Africa attributes to US pressure but France denies. France has instead invited Kenyan President William Ruto to the G7.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot has denied that US President Donald Trump pressured French President Emmanuel Macron to withdraw President Cyril Ramaphosa's invitation to the G7 Summit in Evian in June. Ramaphosa's spokesperson Vincent Magwenya confirmed that France's ambassador to South Africa, David Martinon, informed the presidency of the withdrawal, citing sustained US pressure including a threat to boycott the summit.

"The reason we were given was that it was due to sustained pressure from the US, including a threat to boycott the G7 Summit," Magwenya said. Barrot insisted: "We have not yielded to any pressure, but have made a choice consistent with our decision to hold a streamlined G7 focused on geo-economic issues."

France invited Kenya to the G7 in preparation for the Africa-France summit in Nairobi on 11 and 12 May. A White House official stated that G7 members collectively decided to invite Kenya.

Separately, a French diplomat told the US that excluding South Africa from preparations for the 2026 G20 Summit, hosted by the US in Florida, is unacceptable. South Africa hosted the G20 in Johannesburg last year, which Trump boycotted, and now faces exclusion from the upcoming event. Bilateral ties remain frosty after US claims of a "white genocide" in South Africa, denied by Pretoria.

Magwenya said South Africa remains committed to resetting relations with the US and maintaining strong ties with France.

관련 기사

French President Emmanuel Macron and Kenyan President William Ruto at the Africa-France summit podium in Nairobi, symbolizing the end of traditional French influence in Francophone Africa.
AI에 의해 생성된 이미지

Macron says era of french pre-carre in africa is over

AI에 의해 보고됨 AI에 의해 생성된 이미지

Emmanuel Macron arrived in Nairobi on Sunday and declared that the era of the French 'pré carré' in Francophone Africa ended in 2017. The French president met Kenyan counterpart William Ruto and is preparing an Africa-France summit.

남아프리카공화국이 자국의 G7 정상회의 초청 취소 이유가 미국 측의 보이콧 위협 때문이라고 밝힌 당일, 베이징이 남아공에 무관세 교역을 제안했다. 프랑스는 이러한 배제설을 부인하고 있으나, 미국이 2026년 G20 정상회의에서 남아공을 배제하려는 움직임 등 갈등이 고조되고 있다. 라마포사 대통령은 이번 G7 초청 철회에 대해 확대 해석을 경계했다.

AI에 의해 보고됨

Nairobi will host a major Africa-France summit from May 11-12, bringing together over 4000 delegates and 30 African presidents for the first time in a non-French-speaking country.

이 웹사이트는 쿠키를 사용합니다

사이트를 개선하기 위해 분석을 위한 쿠키를 사용합니다. 자세한 내용은 개인정보 보호 정책을 읽으세요.
거부