ATP boosts player pension to $28 million for 2025

The ATP has raised its annual contributions to the player pension plan to $28 million for 2025, up from $26.3 million in 2024. The program now covers up to 300 players each year, compared to 165 previously. This expansion follows a tiered eligibility system introduced last year.

The ATP Player Pension Plan, launched in 1990 to provide financial stability for players post-retirement, has seen steady growth. For 2025, contributions hit a record $28 million, surpassing the prior high of $27.7 million from 2022. The fund now nears $400 million total, with more than 1,000 players vested. A dip to $18.7 million occurred in 2023 before rebounding to $26.3 million in 2024. Much of the funding comes from data revenues shared between players and tournaments, boosted by Tennis Data Innovations (TDI) as part of the OneVision strategy. Eligibility splits into two tiers. Tier 1 covers the top 150 singles players with at least four ATP main draw appearances and the top 50 doubles players with 10 ATP events, totaling 200 players receiving $129,550 annually. Tier 2 includes the next 100 singles players with eight main draws across ATP and Challenger levels, earning $20,000 each year. Players need three years of service for payments and five for full benefits. ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi highlighted the role of OneVision initiatives like TDI. “We had the discussion a few years ago and said, ‘Look, there’s obviously more money coming in from all the initiatives we’ve done at OneVision, TDI being one of them — but generally we’re doing well, the business is going well, we can contribute more money to the pension. And then the [ATP] player council and player board reps, we’ve made the decision to also increase the number of players that can benefit from the pension,” Gaudenzi said. This overhaul reflects the ATP's ongoing commitment to players' long-term security.

Relaterte artikler

Tennis players including Medvedev and Rublev depart Dubai airport after conflict strands them; some remain waiting.
Bilde generert av AI

ATP players depart Dubai after Middle East conflict strands them

Rapportert av AI Bilde generert av AI

Tennis players including Daniil Medvedev and Andrey Rublev have left Dubai following airspace closures caused by regional tensions. The ATP Tour has funded evacuation efforts for those affected, including cancellations of events in Fujairah. While most have departed, some like Harri Heliövaara remain waiting.

Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner, and Novak Djokovic top the ATP rankings and rank highly among active players for career earnings. Djokovic leads with over $192 million, far ahead of Alcaraz's $63 million in second place. The list highlights 10 players who have surpassed significant prize money milestones in men's tennis.

Rapportert av AI

Novak Djokovic, Aryna Sabalenka, and other top players have voiced disappointment over the French Open's 9.5% prize money increase announced on April 16. They argue it falls short of the tournament's revenue growth and fails to address broader structural issues. The players demand better revenue sharing and consultation in decision-making.

Daniil Medvedev defeated Stan Wawrinka 6-2, 6-3 at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, advancing to the quarterfinals. Following the match, the world No. 11 called for a radical reform to the ATP ranking system, suggesting points only for Grand Slams and Masters 1000 events. He argued this would reduce the physical toll on players by limiting the need to compete in smaller tournaments.

Rapportert av AI

The ATP Tour's reshaped 2026 calendar has removed the Hellenic Championship, a beloved event for Novak Djokovic and Stan Wawrinka. The tournament, relocated to Athens last year, will not return, leaving a gap before the ATP Finals. Players have voiced concerns over the evolving schedule amid plans for new high-level events.

The ATP has updated its policy on wearable devices, allowing players like Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner to use approved trackers during matches starting at Indian Wells. This change follows controversy at the 2026 Australian Open, where top players were required to remove their Whoop bands. The revision aims to enhance performance insights and injury prevention through better data access.

Dette nettstedet bruker informasjonskapsler

Vi bruker informasjonskapsler for analyse for å forbedre nettstedet vårt. Les vår personvernerklæring for mer informasjon.
Avvis