Fact check: Fake links for free round-trip flights

Social media posts claiming Philippine airlines offer free round-trip tickets via online registration are fake, a fact check reveals. The links direct users to phishing sites that risk personal data. Major airlines have made no such promotion announcements.

Posts circulating on Facebook falsely claim that Philippine airlines are offering free round-trip tickets for local and international routes to those who register online. The most viewed post from the 'TNC Nationwide' page, with 439,000 followers, has garnered 1.2 million views, 18,900 reactions, and 4,600 shares. In the video, a male news anchor states: “Airlines in the country are offering free two-way trips. To claim these trips, register online to get a slot for the free trips.” No specific airlines are named.

Rappler's fact check confirms no such promotions appear on the official channels of Philippine Airlines (PAL), Cebu Pacific, AirAsia, and Royal Air Philippines. Airlines like PAL and Cebu Pacific have previously warned against fake websites, stating genuine promotions are only on their official sites and social media. Free flights are usually redeemed via miles, points, or after purchasing tickets.

The registration links lead to unrelated shopping platforms and blog sites masquerading as government updates, lacking the .gov.ph domain. Urlscan.io analysis indicates phishing risks to personal and financial information. The 'news report' in the post is 99% likely AI-generated, per SightEngine.

Rappler debunked a similar PAL free flights claim for six months in 2024. PAL spokesperson Cielo Villaluna noted: “Please be reminded that official announcements on promos are posted on our corporate website www.philippineairlines.com and our official PAL Facebook Page.” In 2014, a fake Cebu Pacific promotion duped thousands during the Christmas rush.

Artigos relacionados

Philippine defense officials at press conference assure no Middle East threat to nation or OFWs, with reassuring map visuals.
Imagem gerada por IA

Middle East conflict poses no direct threat to Philippines

Reportado por IA Imagem gerada por IA

The Department of National Defense and Armed Forces of the Philippines have stated that the ongoing Middle East conflict poses no direct threat to the country's territory. Authorities report no Filipino casualties from the attacks. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has directed agencies to ensure the safety of millions of overseas Filipino workers in the region.

Flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) has launched new direct flights between Manila and Palau, a Pacific island-nation known for its world-class marine attractions. PAL president Richard Nuttall said the service reinforces Manila's role as a regional transit hub and gateway for medical tourism. The airline has also resumed Manila-Saipan flights.

Reportado por IA

Cebu Pacific has announced cancellations and reductions in international flights due to global fuel prices more than doubling from 2025 averages. Affected routes include those from Davao, Iloilo, Clark, and Manila to various destinations. Passengers have reported disruptions on a March 22 flight.

Around 1,033 overseas Filipino workers are stranded at airports in the Philippines and abroad due to flight cancellations from the Middle East crisis. A Filipina caregiver was killed in an airstrike in Israel, President Marcos said. Officials urge Filipinos in the region to exercise caution amid escalating tensions.

Reportado por IA

Ugnayan ng mga Lumalaban sa Airport Privatization (ULAP) has asked the Supreme Court to immediately halt the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) concession deal and fee increases amid global oil shocks from Middle East tensions. The group filed a second reiterative motion electronically on March 24. It argues the changes impose an unjustified economic burden on Filipinos.

Airline ticket prices have risen sharply on routes between Asia and Europe following the closure of major Gulf airports amid the U.S.-Israel war against Iran. Key hubs like Dubai have been shut for a fourth day, leading to widespread cancellations and rebookings. Passengers face limited availability and higher costs as airlines reroute flights.

Reportado por IA

The Chinese embassy in Manila has denied allegations that it is using Filipinos for espionage operations in the Philippines, which the National Security Council said led to the arrest of at least three Filipinos. The Chinese spokesman described the accusations as lies and fabrications. Philippine agencies have stated that they uncovered these operations and ensured they were terminated.

sexta-feira, 15 de maio de 2026, 00:02h

PAL flights to Doha, Dubai canceled

domingo, 10 de maio de 2026, 03:57h

Budget carriers cut flights as fuel prices surge

terça-feira, 31 de março de 2026, 15:41h

Smishing SMS scams circulate in Colombia during Semana Santa

terça-feira, 24 de março de 2026, 08:51h

CAAP reduces airport terminal and aeronautical fees as fuel prices climb

sábado, 21 de março de 2026, 20:26h

Fake job offer simulates kidnapping in Palermo

quinta-feira, 19 de março de 2026, 19:27h

Airlines seek parking fee cuts at NAIA

quarta-feira, 11 de março de 2026, 14:24h

Marcos announces charter flights for OFWs in Middle East

sábado, 07 de março de 2026, 06:42h

Iran war keeps Middle East skies closed as Cathay Pacific fares surge 93% on average

sexta-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2026, 02:01h

Several airlines announce new nonstop routes for 2026

quarta-feira, 25 de fevereiro de 2026, 08:01h

Korean Air and Philippine Airlines cancel seven flights from South Korea

Este site usa cookies

Usamos cookies para análise para melhorar nosso site. Leia nossa política de privacidade para mais informações.
Recusar