Mashatile warns against violence in immigration protests

Deputy President Paul Mashatile told Parliament that the government will not allow mob violence in protests against undocumented foreign nationals. He urged security forces to act decisively against criminal acts while continuing to prioritise South Africans.

Mashatile made the remarks while answering oral questions in the National Assembly on 21 May 2026. He condemned any form of mob action and stressed that South Africa is an orderly country governed by laws.

The deputy president also addressed accountability issues involving former Social Development Minister Sisisi Tolashe. He noted that she had appeared before the relevant ethics bodies and the president after accusations of failing to declare luxury vehicles donated to the African National Congress Women’s League.

Mashatile rejected claims that he influenced a multi-billion-rand lottery tender. He said the matter had already been reviewed by Trade, Industry and Competition Minister Parks Tau and required no further investigation.

Relaterade artiklar

Protesters from March and March group demonstrate against illegal immigration in Johannesburg, handing memorandum to Gauteng Premier.
Bild genererad av AI

March and March protests expand to Gauteng cities

Rapporterad av AI Bild genererad av AI

The anti-foreigner group March and March held demonstrations in Tshwane and Johannesburg on Tuesday and Wednesday, demanding action against illegal immigrants ahead of local government elections. Leader Jacinta Ngobese-Zuma called for stricter immigration controls, while ActionSA's Herman Mashaba voiced support. Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi received a memorandum and was given seven days to respond.

Malawi has raised official concerns with South Africa about the safety of its citizens after recent attacks on undocumented foreign nationals in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng. International Relations Minister Ronald Lamola condemned the violence during a SADC meeting.

Rapporterad av AI

Deputy President Paul Mashatile has denied claims made at the Madlanga Commission that he met or intended to meet businessman Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala. Sergeant Fannie Nkosi testified that Matlala requested his bank card for such a meeting in December 2024. Mashatile stated he was out of the country at the time and does not know the individuals involved.

Deputy National Police Commissioner Lt General Tebello Mosikili has detailed her involvement in the disbandment of the Political Killings Task Team before Parliament's Ad Hoc Committee.

Rapporterad av AI

Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi delivered his 2026 State of the Province Address, emphasizing foreign direct investment inflows and efforts to combat crime and improve services. He announced R27 billion in investments from international partners to create jobs. Lesufi also addressed water restoration in Midrand and ongoing challenges in other areas.

Member of Parliament Fadiel Adams has accused KwaZulu-Natal Police Commissioner Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi of disregarding the law during testimony before a parliamentary committee. Adams claims Mkhwanazi wants him to cover up access to classified information. He also supported the disbandment of a task team investigating political killings.

Rapporterad av AI

Brigadier Abraham Nkhwashu, Sedibeng District Commissioner, testified at the Madlanga Commission on April 22, 2026, denying allegations of aiding his brother-in-law Katiso “KT” Molefe in the investigation into engineer Armand Swart’s murder. Nkhwashu admitted visiting Molefe in prison but described it as a humanitarian act to deliver clothing. He apologised to Swart’s family and called for justice if Molefe is guilty.

Denna webbplats använder cookies

Vi använder cookies för analys för att förbättra vår webbplats. Läs vår integritetspolicy för mer information.
Avböj