Díaz-Canel reaffirms readiness to defend Revolution in interview

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel stated in an interview with Pablo Iglesias that he is willing to give his life for the Revolution, while detailing the effects of the US blockade and efforts toward energy sovereignty.

Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez, First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba and President of the Republic, recently gave an interview to Spanish political scientist Pablo Iglesias Turrión on the digital platform Canal Red, broadcast on the program Mesa Redonda. From the Palace of the Revolution in Havana, Díaz-Canel addressed Cuba's current situation, marked by the economic, commercial, and financial blockade imposed by the United States.

Díaz-Canel explained that the blockade's intensification since 2019, including the application of Title III of the Helms-Burton Act and Cuba's inclusion on the list of countries allegedly supporting terrorism, has led to financial and energy persecution. "We haven’t had a single drop of fuel enter the country for three months," he noted, causing blackouts and shortages of food, medicine, and transportation.

Facing these challenges, the president highlighted "creative resistance": development of Cuban COVID-19 vaccines (three out of five candidates), ventilators, and community adaptations like shared kitchens and electric tricycles. In energy, Cuba installed 1,000 MW of photovoltaic parks last year, raising renewable generation from 3% to 10%.

On dialogue with the US, he confirmed talks with State Department officials, facilitated by international mediators and guided by Army General Raúl Castro. "We are willing to build a civilized relationship between neighbors," he said, but without conditions affecting Cuban sovereignty.

Finally, Díaz-Canel emphasized defensive readiness: "We would give our lives for the Revolution," referencing a viral comment by troubadour Silvio Rodríguez.

Makala yanayohusiana

Protesters marching in Havana streets at night during blackouts caused by fuel crisis, with signs blaming the U.S. blockade.
Picha iliyoundwa na AI

Cuba acknowledges running out of fuel reserves amid protests

Imeripotiwa na AI Picha iliyoundwa na AI

Cuba's energy minister Vicente de la O Levy stated the country has no reserves of diesel or fuel oil for its power plants. The situation has caused widespread blackouts and sporadic protests in Havana. President Miguel Díaz-Canel blamed the crisis on the U.S. energy blockade.

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel confirmed that officials from his government have held conversations with United States representatives to address bilateral differences. The discussions aim to seek solutions through dialogue and evaluate both sides' willingness to take actions benefiting their peoples. The announcement came during a Central Committee of the Communist Party meeting and in a national address.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez sent a message to the Second International Conference on Unilateral Coercive Measures in Geneva, ending April 10. He stressed Cuba's trust in multilateralism and diplomacy to maintain peace amid the US blockade. He highlighted the humanitarian impact of the intensified energy embargo.

Jumatatu, 18. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 00:38:39

Cuba says it neither threatens nor desires war

Jumatatu, 4. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 20:53:38

Díaz-Canel warns no aggressor will find surrender in Cuba

Jumapili, 19. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 14:58:14

Mexico, Brazil and Spain voice concern over Cuba's crisis

Jumatano, 15. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 10:12:12

Díaz-Canel meets experts on renewable energy projects

Jumatatu, 16. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 17:43:33

Díaz-Canel meets Cuban press on Press Day

Tovuti hii inatumia vidakuzi

Tunatumia vidakuzi kwa uchambuzi ili kuboresha tovuti yetu. Soma sera ya faragha yetu kwa maelezo zaidi.
Kataa