Nadiem Makarim attends Chromebook procurement corruption trial today

The first trial in the alleged corruption case over Chromebook laptop procurement in the Ministry of Education finally takes place today after two postponements due to Nadiem Makarim's health condition. The former Minister of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology from 2019-2024 is now declared healthy and ready to attend the reading of the indictment at the Jakarta Central Corruption Court.

The inaugural trial for the alleged corruption in the education digitalization program involving the procurement of Chromebook laptops and Chrome Device Management (CDM) within the Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology (Kemendikbudristek) from 2019 to 2022 is being held on Monday, January 5, 2026, at the Corruption Court within the Central Jakarta District Court. The main agenda is the reading of the indictment against Nadiem Anwar Makarim as the defendant.

Previously, the trial was postponed twice on December 16, 2025, and December 23, 2025, because Nadiem was still recovering from surgery. He underwent surgery for fistula ani on December 12, 2025, marking his third operation for the same condition, accompanied by complications such as reinfection, abscess, and recurrent bleeding. Medical recommendations advised a minimum recovery period of 21 days, confirmed by hospital doctors and the Attorney General's doctor, Muhammad Yahya Sobirin.

Nadiem's legal advisor, Ari Yusuf Amir, stated, "Nadiem's condition is still under treatment, but he will attend the trial." He added that his client wants to resolve the matter promptly to prove that Nadiem is not a corruptor. Another lawyer, Dodi S. Abdulkadir, expressed the team's readiness to proceed with the trial, including filing exceptions if the indictment is read, though prior delays were unavoidable due to health issues.

The Attorney General's Office has declared Nadiem now in good health. This trial marks the initial step in the legal proceedings over the alleged corruption in the educational device procurement.

Makala yanayohusiana

A courtroom scene featuring Nadiem Makarim facing charges in the Chromebook procurement corruption case.
Picha iliyoundwa na AI

Nadiem Makarim faces 18-year prison demand in Chromebook case

Imeripotiwa na AI Picha iliyoundwa na AI

Prosecutors have demanded an 18-year prison sentence and Rp5.6 trillion in fines for former Education Minister Nadiem Makarim in the alleged Chromebook procurement corruption case.

Nadiem Makarim, defendant in the Chromebook procurement corruption case, requested the court to change his detention status to house arrest during post-surgery recovery. He attended the hearing at the Corruption Court at Central Jakarta District Court on May 4, 2026, despite having an IV attached and being under hospital care. Chief Judge Purwanto Abdullah said they would assess his condition first.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Former Education Minister Nadiem Anwar Makarim said he has no regrets about taking the ministerial post even as prosecutors demanded an 18-year prison term in the Chromebook procurement corruption case. He expressed disappointment and heartbreak over the demand after the hearing at the Jakarta Corruption Court on Wednesday.

Indonesia's Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has summoned former Transport Minister Budi Karya Sumadi as a witness for the third time on Monday, March 2, 2026, regarding alleged corruption in the Directorate General of Railways (DJKA) of the Ministry of Transportation. This follows his absences on February 18 and 25. KPK deems his testimony crucial as he was the minister during the period of the case.

Imeripotiwa na AI

The Corruption Eradication Commission has opened the possibility of examining former Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi after seizing hundreds of millions of rupiah from his former expert staff member Robby Kurniawan.

Tovuti hii inatumia vidakuzi

Tunatumia vidakuzi kwa uchambuzi ili kuboresha tovuti yetu. Soma sera ya faragha yetu kwa maelezo zaidi.
Kataa