Prosecutors seek to close Nafiz Modack defence case

On Monday prosecutors in the Western Cape High Court urged Judge Robert Henney to close Nafiz Modack’s defence case, citing repeated delays that they say amount to an abuse of process.

The state invoked article 342A(3)(d) of the Criminal Procedure Act during arguments in Cape Town. It asked the court to deem the defence closed because the delays were unjustified and prejudiced the administration of justice.

Modack and 14 co-accused face 124 charges, including the 2020 assassination of Anti-Gang Unit detective Charl Kinnear. They pleaded not guilty in January 2024. The state closed its case in November 2024 after calling 47 witnesses.

Judge Henney warned that continuous postponement requests for witnesses who never appear had become an abusive process. He noted the uncertainty also affected the rights of the other accused to prepare their cases.

Defence advocate Bashier Sibda said he still needed to verify witnesses before calling them. Prosecutor Greg Wolmarans countered that Modack appeared to be playing games and that no acceptable explanation had been given for the delays.

Judgment is expected on Wednesday.

Makala yanayohusiana

Vusimuzi ‘Cat’ Matlala and four co-accused appeared in Johannesburg High Court on charges of attempted murder. Their lawyer, Annelene van der Heever, accused the state of withholding requested affidavits and cellphone evidence. The case was postponed to May 7.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Matipandile Sotheni, facing 16 counts linked to the murder of Madlanga Commission witness Marius van der Merwe, told a court he learned of the killing only through television reports and denied any involvement in a plot.

Imtiaz Cajee, nephew of murdered anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Timol, testified at the Khampepe Commission that officials deliberately sabotaged Truth and Reconciliation Commission prosecutions. He retracted earlier beliefs in political interference, instead pointing to individuals from the apartheid era. The testimony highlights ongoing struggles for accountability over apartheid-era deaths.

Imeripotiwa na AI

The Gqeberha High Court has adjourned the inquest into Steve Bantu Biko's death to March 4. The delay allows time to resolve legal representation for two persons of interest. This reopened probe examines Biko's 1977 death in police custody.

Jumatatu, 18. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 08:20:47

Brown Mogotsi appears in court over staged shooting claims

Ijumaa, 15. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 02:17:44

Fadiel Adams released on R10,000 bail after court hearing

Alhamisi, 14. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 23:40:51

Judge sets Zuma arms deal trial date for 2027

Jumatano, 22. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 22:04:07

Eric Wood's Transnet trial stalled nearly four years after arrest

Alhamisi, 16. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 00:54:43

Khampepe commission hears threats and challenges in TRC prosecutions

Jumanne, 14. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 15:36:11

Danny Jordaan's fraud case postponed for new delay application

Jumapili, 8. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 14:47:06

Thabo Bester's second prison transfer challenge denied after first dismissal

Jumatano, 25. Mwezi wa pili 2026, 00:24:48

Accused in Mpumalanga education fraud case remanded in custody

Jumanne, 24. Mwezi wa pili 2026, 08:04:45

Lusikisiki mass murder trial within a trial postponed

Jumatatu, 23. Mwezi wa pili 2026, 05:00:16

Second accused in Marikana mass shooting appears in court

 

 

 

Tovuti hii inatumia vidakuzi

Tunatumia vidakuzi kwa uchambuzi ili kuboresha tovuti yetu. Soma sera ya faragha yetu kwa maelezo zaidi.
Kataa