Prosecutors seek to close Nafiz Modack defence case

On Monday prosecutors in the Western Cape High Court urged Judge Robert Henney to close Nafiz Modack’s defence case, citing repeated delays that they say amount to an abuse of process.

The state invoked article 342A(3)(d) of the Criminal Procedure Act during arguments in Cape Town. It asked the court to deem the defence closed because the delays were unjustified and prejudiced the administration of justice.

Modack and 14 co-accused face 124 charges, including the 2020 assassination of Anti-Gang Unit detective Charl Kinnear. They pleaded not guilty in January 2024. The state closed its case in November 2024 after calling 47 witnesses.

Judge Henney warned that continuous postponement requests for witnesses who never appear had become an abusive process. He noted the uncertainty also affected the rights of the other accused to prepare their cases.

Defence advocate Bashier Sibda said he still needed to verify witnesses before calling them. Prosecutor Greg Wolmarans countered that Modack appeared to be playing games and that no acceptable explanation had been given for the delays.

Judgment is expected on Wednesday.

Awọn iroyin ti o ni ibatan

Vusimuzi ‘Cat’ Matlala and four co-accused appeared in Johannesburg High Court on charges of attempted murder. Their lawyer, Annelene van der Heever, accused the state of withholding requested affidavits and cellphone evidence. The case was postponed to May 7.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

Matipandile Sotheni, facing 16 counts linked to the murder of Madlanga Commission witness Marius van der Merwe, told a court he learned of the killing only through television reports and denied any involvement in a plot.

Imtiaz Cajee, nephew of murdered anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Timol, testified at the Khampepe Commission that officials deliberately sabotaged Truth and Reconciliation Commission prosecutions. He retracted earlier beliefs in political interference, instead pointing to individuals from the apartheid era. The testimony highlights ongoing struggles for accountability over apartheid-era deaths.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

The Gqeberha High Court has adjourned the inquest into Steve Bantu Biko's death to March 4. The delay allows time to resolve legal representation for two persons of interest. This reopened probe examines Biko's 1977 death in police custody.

 

 

 

Ojú-ìwé yìí nlo kuki

A nlo kuki fun itupalẹ lati mu ilọsiwaju wa. Ka ìlànà àṣírí wa fun alaye siwaju sii.
Kọ