Kim Min-seok vows preemptive steps against daily necessities shortages from Middle East crisis

Prime Minister Kim Min-seok vowed on March 29 to take preemptive measures against possible shortages of daily necessities amid the Middle East crisis disrupting global energy markets and driving up prices. Speaking at an emergency economic headquarters meeting, he described the conflict's aftermath as a complex crisis involving energy supply instability and global supply chain disruptions.

Prime Minister Kim Min-seok said during the meeting on Sunday, March 29, "We are at a grave economic crossroads." He noted that the aftermath of the Middle East conflict is emerging as a complex crisis for South Korea's economy, in the form of severe energy supply instability and global supply chain disruptions.

He stressed that now is a critical time to respond to potential supply shocks, warning that failure to act promptly could lead to significant public anxiety and inconvenience. "We have to analyze the impact of supply disruptions originating in the Middle East on essential goods under various scenarios and establish phased response plans," he said. "We need to thoroughly and meticulously review the items expected to face supply disruptions without missing a single one."

Kim also called on the government to work closely with the National Assembly and prepare to execute a supplementary budget in a timely manner. The emergency economic headquarters held its first meeting following its creation last week, along with an emergency economic situation room at Cheong Wa Dae in response to the Middle East crisis.

The headquarters comprises five subteams handling macroeconomic, energy, financial, people's livelihood, and overseas issues. The energy subteam reported on supply and price trends for oil, gas, and naphtha; the financial subteam shared plans to expand assistance to businesses struggling due to the crisis; and the people's livelihood subteam discussed preparations against potential disruptions to medical supplies. (Yonhap)

Awọn iroyin ti o ni ibatan

South Korean Prime Minister Kim Min-seok announces emergency economic teams at Cheong Wa Dae amid Middle East crisis.
Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

Cheong Wa Dae, PM's office to launch emergency economic teams for Middle East crisis

Ti AI ṣe iroyin Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

Prime Minister Kim Min-seok announced on March 25 that two emergency economic teams will launch at Cheong Wa Dae and his office to address the Middle East crisis. The move responds to the widening impact of the ongoing war involving the United States, Israel and Iran. He stressed the need to bolster the government's preemptive response for prolonged scenarios, including worst-case ones.

South Korean Prime Minister Kim Min-seok convened an emergency meeting with government officials on March 1 to review the Middle East situation following the death of Iran's supreme leader in attacks by the United States and Israel. During the meeting, Kim received briefings on the latest regional developments and discussed response measures. The government plans to prioritize the safety of its nationals and economic stability.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

President Lee Jae Myung will preside over an emergency meeting with related ministries on Monday to review the economic impact from heightened tensions in the Middle East and discuss response measures, Cheong Wa Dae said Sunday. The meeting will focus on global financial markets and oil prices. South Korea, heavily reliant on energy imports, is particularly vulnerable to external price shocks.

Amid U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran that killed Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the Korean government stated that oil and gas supplies remain stable for now. Emergency meetings confirmed reserves of several months' worth of oil and gas exceeding mandatory levels. However, preparations are underway for potential risks from the Strait of Hormuz closure, including alternative routes and support measures.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

President Lee Jae Myung is set to meet leaders of the ruling and main opposition parties on Tuesday to discuss measures to mitigate economic fallout from the Middle East war. The gathering at Cheong Wa Dae includes key figures from the Democratic Party of Korea and People Power Party, marking the first such meeting since September last year.

The South Korean government plans to swiftly prepare a supplementary budget using excess tax revenue to ease livelihood burdens from the Middle East conflict, without issuing additional state bonds. This follows an order from President Lee Jae Myung. The budget will focus on alleviating logistics and fuel costs while supporting low-income households.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

President Lee Jae Myung vowed on April 5 to mobilize all resources to prevent the Middle East conflict from escalating into a larger crisis for South Korea. He highlighted the war, sparked by U.S.-Israeli attacks on Iran, as rattling the global and recovering South Korean economies. Lee urged national unity in an Easter message emphasizing peace and solidarity.

 

 

 

Ojú-ìwé yìí nlo kuki

A nlo kuki fun itupalẹ lati mu ilọsiwaju wa. Ka ìlànà àṣírí wa fun alaye siwaju sii.
Kọ