National Symphony Orchestra director resigns for Los Angeles role

Jean Davidson, executive director of the National Symphony Orchestra, has resigned from her position at the Kennedy Center to become CEO of the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts in Beverly Hills. Her departure, effective May 4, comes amid ongoing challenges at the venue following political changes. Davidson cited difficulties in leadership due to external pressures and lack of communication.

The National Symphony Orchestra (NSO), which has maintained a 55-year association with the Kennedy Center, faces further upheaval as its executive director, Jean Davidson, steps down. Appointed to the role three years ago, Davidson announced her resignation to take on the position of executive director and chief executive at the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts, effective May 4.

In interviews, Davidson expressed mixed feelings about leaving. She told the New York Times, “It’s no secret that this has been a really hard year,” and noted she had hoped to remain through the NSO's 100th anniversary in 2031. To the Los Angeles Times, she added, “I found it more and more difficult to achieve the goals that we had set out to achieve given the external forces that are at work that are just so far beyond my control.”

Davidson highlighted frustrations with the new board installed by the Donald Trump administration, including poor communication. “There’s been a lot of change going on, and there’s not a lot of communication. We are finding out things through the press — at the same time as everyone else. Like the center closing on July 4,” she told the New York Times. The Kennedy Center is set to close for two years for a $200 million renovation, which the president described as addressing the venue's dilapidated state. This follows artist cancellations, the departure of the Washington National Opera, and weakened ticket sales partly due to boycotts.

The NSO, which performs about 180 shows annually, is seeking alternative venues on short notice. Davidson said, “Usually orchestras will plan for being out of their hall years in advance, and we only have months to do that, so it is causing a bit of strain.” She emphasized the need for support: “I think the most important thing is that our audiences and donors continue to support the NSO during this transition period.”

Despite the turmoil, Davidson remains optimistic about the orchestra's future. “The orchestra has never sounded as great as it sounds now. Gianandrea Noseda, the music director, is very committed. Musicians still want to play with us. It’s a great orchestra. But we need Washington — donors, audiences — to support the orchestra for it to survive,” she told the New York Times.

Davidson brings extensive experience to her new role, having served as president-CEO of the Los Angeles Master Chorale from 2015 to 2023, where she increased contributed revenue by 48% and guided the organization through the pandemic. The Wallis, which opened in 2013 in a 70,000-square-foot facility incorporating a historic post office, has hosted nearly 500 performances.

Meanwhile, Kennedy Center leadership shows no regret over the rebranding to the “Trump Kennedy Center,” despite legal challenges requiring an act of Congress. Recently, president Richard Grenell announced the “Kennedy Center Honors” will become “The Trump Kennedy Center Honors” and move to a smaller venue during renovations.

相关文章

Aerial view of Washington D.C. landmarks under renovation: Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool resurfacing, White House ballroom construction, new monuments, with protesters amid Trump's projects.
AI 生成的图像

Trump moves ahead with an array of construction and redesign projects across Washington

由 AI 报道 AI 生成的图像 事实核查

President Donald Trump has announced or begun a wide-ranging set of construction and renovation efforts in Washington, D.C., from resurfacing the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool to pursuing a new White House ballroom and proposed monument projects tied to the nation’s 250th anniversary in July 2026. Several initiatives have prompted lawsuits, procedural disputes and public backlash, even as federal planning bodies continue to review and, in some cases, approve the proposals.

Richard Grenell is stepping down as interim president of the Kennedy Center after over a year in the role. President Donald Trump announced the departure on Truth Social, praising Grenell's work during a transitional period. Matt Floca, the current vice president of facilities operations, is set to become COO and executive director pending board approval.

由 AI 报道

The Boston Symphony Orchestra announced that music director Andris Nelsons will leave his position at the end of the 2026-27 season. The board cited a lack of alignment on long-term vision as the reason for not renewing his contract. Nelsons expressed surprise at the decision but pledged to continue high-level performances with the ensemble.

Fresh from his Cliburn competition victory, 28-year-old Hong Kong pianist Aristo Sham performed in Washington, D.C., highlighting music's role in bridging cultural divides amid US-China geopolitical tensions. In an interview with the South China Morning Post just before his Year of the Horse recital at the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium, he stressed that music transcends borders.

此网站使用 cookie

我们使用 cookie 进行分析以改进我们的网站。阅读我们的 隐私政策 以获取更多信息。
拒绝