Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun said on Thursday that Beijing’s opposition to official US exchanges with Taiwan remains firm. The statement follows concerns over a possible call between US President Donald Trump and Taiwan’s Lai Ching-te after Trump’s recent summit with Xi Jinping in Beijing.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun said on Thursday that Beijing’s opposition to official US exchanges with Taiwan remains firm. The statement follows concerns over a possible call between US President Donald Trump and Taiwan’s Lai Ching-te after Trump’s recent summit with Xi Jinping in Beijing.
Guo Jiakun stated, “China’s opposition to official US exchanges with China’s Taiwan region and US arms to Taiwan remains consistent, clear and firm.” The ministry urged the United States to implement the consensus reached by the heads of state during Trump’s trip to Beijing last week.
Beijing sees Taiwan as part of China and has stated it can be reunited by force if necessary. Analysts have warned that a Trump call to Lai Ching-te would cross a red line and create turbulence in Washington-Beijing relations.