Techint's defeat strains Rocca's ties with the government

The awarding of Indian pipes for Vaca Muerta to a cheaper bid than Techint's has strained relations between Paolo Rocca and Javier Milei's government. The president accused the businessman of high prices and called him 'Don Chatarrín de los tubitos caros'. This divides the business elite, with the UIA seeking to calm tensions while some celebrate the competition.

On November 30, 2023, shortly after the runoff election that chose Javier Milei as president, a Techint representative explained to Perfil the group's contributions to La Libertad Avanza's campaign: 'As we couldn't provide poll watchers, because employees are free to vote as they wish, we did it with contributions.' This initial pragmatic alliance has soured after the recent awarding to Southern Energy (SESA) of Indian pipes from Welspun to connect Vaca Muerta to the Golfo San Matías, outbidding Tenaris, a Techint subsidiary, by 45%.

The government turned this tender into a test case to discipline the establishment. Federico Sturzenegger and Milei criticized Rocca, accusing him of wanting to 'play all in' to topple the government after Buenos Aires province elections. 'It's a message of admonishment,' said a productive sector source. Techint is considering a dumping complaint, alleging prices below costs in India, but the Casa Rosada rejected anti-dumping measures.

Paolo Rocca, an influential industry voice, praised macroeconomic stability but demanded policies against China and India. In the UIA, where Rocca holds sway, the focus is on 'structural asymmetries' like taxes and logistics, prioritizing investment under the RIGI over 'buy national.' The UIPBA, linked to Techint, emphasized local product safety: 'If a product doesn't meet national standards, the risk falls on all of us: industry, jobs, and consumers'.

In business circles, some see missteps by Techint for not matching the bid in time. A pro-Milei CEO defended: 'Opening is good. Competition is healthy and the country has changed.' The conflict continues in future tenders, like the gas pipeline for GNL in 2028, where competitors like Marcelo Mindlin's Tecpetrol clash with Techint, despite alliances in VMOS for 2026.

Economists Mario Raccanello and Alan Cosentino Gattone from the Center for Economic History Studies view the Rocca case not as good or bad entrepreneurs, but as a lack of strategy and industrial decline.

مقالات ذات صلة

Aerial view of construction machinery building the San Matías pipeline in Vaca Muerta, awarded to Víctor Contreras-Sicim.
صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

Víctor Contreras-Sicim awarded construction of San Matías pipeline in Vaca Muerta

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

Southern Energy consortium awarded Víctor Contreras-Sicim the construction of the San Matías pipeline linking Vaca Muerta to Río Negro's coast for LNG exports. Techint lost this key bid again, after being excluded from pipe supply earlier in 2026. The winning bid totaled USD 533 million for assembly and USD 96 million for a compressor plant.

Vaca Muerta News director Darío Irigaray said the field's development has entered a concrete phase with export and infrastructure projects underway.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

On Canal E's QR! program, experts discussed how to build an effective opposition against Javier Milei's government amid global changes and a political participation crisis. Sociologist Luci Cavallero and political scientist Nicolás Tereschuk analyzed the rise of radical right wings and the need for new organizational forms. Additionally, former minister José Ignacio de Mendiguren warned of a 14% drop in industry, questioning the current economic model.

Presidency's general secretary Karina Milei led a meeting on Tuesday at Casa Rosada with governors Rogelio Frigerio of Entre Ríos and Alfredo Cornejo of Mendoza. The gathering confirmed a decree allowing provinces to promote private investments for works on sections of national routes within their territories. Interior Minister Diego Santilli and Subsecretary Eduardo “Lule” Menem also attended.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

President Javier Milei gathered his cabinet on Friday to back his chief of staff, Manuel Adorni, who is under investigation for alleged illicit enrichment. Adorni led a press conference at Casa Rosada with ministers Luis Caputo and Alejandra Monteoliva to announce the 'Super RIGI' and a major anti-drug operation.

President Gustavo Petro backed the ANI decision not to renew the Autopistas del Café concession. He criticized tolls as a financial business and proposed alternatives such as railroads.

يستخدم هذا الموقع ملفات تعريف الارتباط

نستخدم ملفات تعريف الارتباط للتحليلات لتحسين موقعنا. اقرأ سياسة الخصوصية الخاصة بنا سياسة الخصوصية لمزيد من المعلومات.
رفض