Dramatic illustration of CPB executives voting to dissolve amid congressional funding cuts.
Dramatic illustration of CPB executives voting to dissolve amid congressional funding cuts.
Image generated by AI

Corporation for Public Broadcasting votes to dissolve after Congress rescinds federal funding

Image generated by AI
Fact checked

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has voted to dissolve after Congress approved a rescissions law eliminating about $1.1 billion in CPB funding for future fiscal years, a move that accelerates a wind-down already underway as public media groups face renewed political pressure from President Donald Trump and congressional Republicans.

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) said its board voted on Monday, January 5, 2026, to dissolve the nonprofit created by the Public Broadcasting Act of 1967, bringing to a close an organization that has long administered federal support for public media stations and national programming.

The decision follows congressional passage of a rescissions measure in July 2025 that eliminated roughly $1.1 billion in CPB funding that had been set aside for upcoming budget years. CPB leadership has said the loss of the federal appropriation left the organization unable to operate as envisioned by the 1967 law.

CPB had already begun an orderly wind-down. In an earlier statement about its operations after the funding loss, the organization said most staff positions would end at the close of the federal fiscal year on September 30, 2025, with a smaller transition team continuing into January 2026 to complete the shutdown.

The funding fight has unfolded amid long-running conservative criticism of public media, including allegations of ideological bias at NPR and PBS. President Trump urged Republicans in Congress to “DEFUND” public broadcasting in a mid-July post on his Truth Social account, calling it “worse than CNN & MSDNC put together.”

Some of the sharpest scrutiny has focused on editorial decisions at NPR and PBS. Conservative media watchdog Media Research Center has published a study of PBS’s “Washington Week with The Atlantic,” alleging overwhelmingly negative treatment of Republicans and the Trump administration over a three-month period. Separately, House Republicans questioned NPR chief executive Katherine Maher during a July hearing about claims of bias, including how NPR handled reporting related to the Hunter Biden laptop story during the 2020 campaign.

Uri Berliner, a former NPR editor who resigned after publicly criticizing the network’s editorial direction, told The New York Times in a text message that NPR should acknowledge what he described as a progressive orientation and decline federal support.

Public media advocates have warned that removing CPB’s federal funding threatens smaller local stations, particularly in rural and underserved areas, that rely on CPB support to provide news, educational programming and emergency information.

What people are saying

Discussions on X highlight polarized reactions to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting's dissolution after federal funding cuts. Conservatives celebrated it as ending taxpayer support for biased 'left-wing propaganda,' crediting Trump and Congress. Critics lamented the loss of 58 years of educational programming and called it censorship or fascist. Neutral posts from journalists and outlets factually reported the board's vote for an orderly wind-down, noting impacts on NPR, PBS, and local stations.

Related Articles

Dramatic illustration of outrage and delay over French public broadcasting report proposing cuts and mergers.
Image generated by AI

Alloncle public broadcasting report ignites backlash after approval, publication delayed

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

Following the French Public Broadcasting Inquiry Commission's narrow approval last week, rapporteur Charles Alloncle's report—proposing mergers and €1 billion in cuts—has sparked outrage from France Télévisions and Radio France. Its official release, initially planned, is now delayed until Tuesday morning amid escalating tensions.

Congress restored billions in federal research funding earlier in 2026 after cuts proposed by the Trump administration. Watchdogs and former NIH officials now claim the administration is using new tactics to delay or withhold the money. Scientists report severe impacts on their work, including layoffs and halted projects.

Reported by AI

The Trump-Vance administration has proposed eliminating the budget for the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) for fiscal year 2027, marking the sixth such attempt. This follows a 10-month battle last year to secure funding for fiscal year 2026 after a prior proposal to sunset the agency. The budget also cuts funding for the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities.

Auditions of the French National Assembly’s inquiry commission on public broadcasting’s neutrality, operations, and funding ended on Wednesday, April 8, 2026, with Delphine Ernotte, CEO of France Télévisions. Over 200 hours of hearings and nearly 250 people questioned marked these five and a half months of work launched in late November 2025. Rapporteur Charles Alloncle will present his conclusions to deputies before month’s end.

Reported by AI

The Trump administration's Energy Secretary Chris Wright claimed to have overhauled the Department of Energy's Loan Programs Office, canceling billions in Biden-era clean energy loans. However, former officials assert that the program persists in supporting emissions-free projects like nuclear plants and transmission upgrades. Wright's revisions have been overstated, with many key loans intact.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline