Hong Kong A&E visits drop nearly 12% in first week of new fees

One week after Hong Kong's public hospitals introduced a new A&E pricing regime on January 1, visits fell 11.9% to 32,147 patients across 18 departments compared to last year, while fee waivers tripled. A Hospital Authority spokesman said the changes enable better focus on true emergencies.

One week after the Hospital Authority rolled out a new pricing regime on January 1—aimed at charging higher fees for milder, affordable cases to bolster public healthcare sustainability—A&E attendance dropped sharply.

From January 1 to 7, 32,147 patients visited the 18 A&Es, down 11.9% from the prior year. The number benefiting from fee waivers tripled under the reform.

"The service data of the past week shows that the fees and charges reform allowed A&Es to perform their emergency care function more effectively," a spokesman said. "A&Es can better concentrate resources, treat patients with urgent medical needs more effectively and improve treatment efficiency for urgent cases."

The changes address systemic pressures, including an ageing population and HK$3 billion in annual public hospital expenditures, by steering non-urgent cases to alternative services.

Related Articles

Thousands visited Hong Kong’s East Dam at High Island Reservoir in Sai Kung during the start of the Labour Day 'Golden Week' holiday, continuing the surge seen over Easter. A lawmaker has suggested an entry fee to help maintain the UNESCO Global Geopark amid rising ecotourism popularity.

Reported by AI

On the coming Monday, many pharmacies across Germany will close all day to protest for higher fees. Statutory health insurers criticize the action, accusing pharmacies of false claims since fees have risen since 2013.

Rising airline fuel surcharges and the Middle East conflict are deterring Hong Kong residents from long-haul travel, favoring safe and affordable high-speed rail trips to mainland China. Traveler Mr Lau and his wife took a train to neighboring Guangzhou for a three-day trip costing about HK$500. Hong Kong Tourism Association executive director Timothy Chui Ting-pong said the changes have encouraged visits to cross-border destinations.

Reported by AI

In 2025-26, Hong Kong's government received HK$2.1 billion (US$268.39 million) from fines, penalties, and forfeitures, nearly 26 percent more than initially forecast. The surge follows an increase in cigarette penalties and a rise in forfeitures. This income amounts to 0.3 percent of the government's total revenue.

Hong Kong customs officers have arrested four suspects and seized illicit medicines worth HK$140 million (US$18 million) in a crackdown on smuggling. The items include slimming and cosmetic injections as well as erectile dysfunction pills. The suspects, aged 26 to 61, consist of two mainland Chinese men and two local women, with investigations ongoing and further arrests possible.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline