Hong Kong A&E less urgent visits drop 24% in first 10 days of fee reform

Hong Kong's public hospital A&E pricing changes, launched January 1, have further reduced visits, with semi-urgent and non-urgent cases down 24% in the first 10 days versus last year—building on an initial 12% overall decline in the first week. Health Secretary Lo Chung-mau highlighted the reform's success in guiding mild cases to alternatives, while 60,000 fee waivers were approved, 80% same-day.

Updating initial reports of an 11.9% drop in A&E visits during the first week, total attendances fell nearly 12% in the first 10 days under the new regime, with semi-urgent and non-urgent cases plunging 24%—described by Secretary for Health Lo Chung-mau as a "fairly high" figure.

In a television interview, Lo noted that patients with mild conditions like colds, dizziness, and minor wounds are now opting for general outpatient clinics or private care. "The fee reform has brought about a guiding role," he said. "Once patients assess the situation, they will not need to go to A&E and can find alternatives."

The reform waives fees for critical/emergency cases while charging HK$400 for less urgent ones (up from HK$180). It also expanded eligibility, adding 1.1 million to the 300,000 previously qualifying. To date, 60,000 waivers have been approved, 80% on the application day, aiding resource optimization amid ongoing healthcare pressures.

Related Articles

Hong Kong's Secretary for Health Lo Chung-mau affirmed the city's commitment to helping mainland China's medical and health standards 'go global' at the opening of the 15th China Chest Pain Centres Congress. He hailed the event as of 'great significance' as the first national Chinese medical conference hosted in the city.

Reported by AI

Rising airline fuel surcharges and the Middle East conflict are deterring Hong Kong residents from long-haul travel, favoring safe and affordable high-speed rail trips to mainland China. Traveler Mr Lau and his wife took a train to neighboring Guangzhou for a three-day trip costing about HK$500. Hong Kong Tourism Association executive director Timothy Chui Ting-pong said the changes have encouraged visits to cross-border destinations.

More than 50 restaurants and shops in Hong Kong's Central district have joined a 'tourism everywhere' initiative to promote local delicacies and goods while offering discounts to residents and tourists. The programme, announced by the Hong Kong Small and Medium Enterprises Association on Friday, runs from May 1 to the end of June, overlapping with mainland China's Labour Day golden week. Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Algernon Yau Ying-wah said it would draw more visitors and boost spending.

Reported by AI

Fifteen Hong Kong public primary schools risk closure after being banned from running subsidised Primary One classes next year due to low enrolment, the highest number in recent years. Education Secretary Christine Choi Yuk-lin warned that more closures loom if operators refuse mergers. Primary One allocation participants dropped by 4000 from last year.

Hong Kong leader John Lee Ka-chiu has pledged to expand a government after-school care scheme to benefit more children from low-income families, following positive feedback from participants. Social workers and educators have welcomed the initiative, calling for wider coverage and school subsidies.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline