Nine patients spared higher fees as Hong Kong's new hospital charges take effect

Nine patients in Hong Kong avoided higher emergency fees when new hospital charges took effect on New Year's Day. Hospital Authority chief executive Libby Lee reported a smooth rollout. The changes target sustainability for the taxpayer-subsidized public healthcare system.

Hong Kong's public hospitals implemented a new pricing regime on New Year's Day, 2026, requiring patients with milder conditions and stronger financial means to pay higher fees while providing greater support for those with severe and urgent ailments. This forms part of a broader plan to enhance the sustainability of the public healthcare system, which is heavily subsidized by taxpayers.

Nine patients who visited accident and emergency (A&E) departments at public hospitals shortly after midnight were spared the higher fees, despite the regime taking effect on Thursday. Others reported having no choice but to pay more or opting to see private doctors instead.

Hospital Authority chief executive Libby Lee Ha-yun said early on Thursday that the implementation had been smooth, with more than 1,000 staff deployed to help patients and publicize the changes.

"This marks the beginning of our pricing reform. We hope to better utilise resources to support patients with more acute and severe conditions," she said.

"About 35,000 people have been approved for a medical fee waiver so far … the figure is within our expectations."

Asked why the figure was far lower than the 1.4 million predicted, she said only patients of the authority and in medical need would apply for the waiver.

Related Articles

Hong Kong’s Hospital Authority apologised on Saturday for a data breach affecting more than 56,000 patients from Kowloon East hospitals. The privacy watchdog and police are investigating after unauthorised retrieval of patient data was detected around 2am on Friday.

Reported by AI

Kenya's Ministry of Health has suspended the tariff-locking mechanism in the Social Health Authority (SHA) system amid complaints from civil servants. Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale announced the decision on April 23 to ease access to healthcare services.

The chairman of Hong Kong's Federation of Civil Service Unions has warned that tighter disciplinary rules risk becoming excessive amid efforts to address underperforming staff. The Civil Service Bureau plans to revise regulations this year, including stricter rules on withholding salaries during suspensions and confiscating such pay.

Reported by AI

Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla has revealed a kickback scheme in private hospitals involving PhilHealth personnel and fraudulent billings. Patients are told their bills are not covered by PhilHealth, leading them to pay cash, after which hospitals alter receipts to claim PhilHealth payment. He urged patients to file complaints against those involved.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline