Dedicated Northern Metropolis laws may speed projects by one year, minister says

Hong Kong's Secretary for Development Bernadette Linn Hon-ho said dedicated laws for the Northern Metropolis may speed up some projects by about one year. She revealed the government is preparing to increase the residential component of some sites to appeal to developers. The government unveiled a plan for six subsidiary laws earlier this month to remove bottlenecks in the massive scheme.

Hong Kong's Secretary for Development Bernadette Linn Hon-ho said on Sunday that dedicated laws to streamline statutory procedures for the Northern Metropolis may speed up some projects by about one year.

The government unveiled a plan earlier this month for six main subsidiary laws designed to remove bottlenecks in the massive development scheme near the border with mainland China. These include establishing statutory firms, measures to speed up land resumption payments, and adopting new building technologies. "Some individual projects [within the Northern Metropolis] could be fast-tracked by one year," Linn told a television programme.

The megaproject, announced in 2021, aims to turn 30,000 hectares (74,132 acres) of land into an engine for economic growth and a housing hub. Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu has vowed to expedite its development, aligning with the nation’s recently unveiled 15th five-year plan.

Linn added: "If the statutory processes remain unchanged, how can the megaproject be sped up?" The authorities are also preparing to increase the residential component of some sites to make the investment more appealing for developers.

Verwandte Artikel

Illustration of China's central authorities announcing supportive policies for Hong Kong in the 15th Five-Year Plan, featuring skyline and press conference.
Bild generiert von KI

China's central authorities to roll out more policies for Hong Kong: spokesperson

Von KI berichtet Bild generiert von KI

Chinese central authorities will continue rolling out more policies and measures that benefit the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region during the 15th Five-Year Plan period, a spokesperson said on Wednesday. The central authorities will make further arrangements in the 15th Five-Year Plan for national economic and social development to support Hong Kong in leveraging its unique strengths and playing a significant role.

Hong Kong's Development Bureau unveiled six subsidiary laws on Tuesday to remove bottlenecks in the Northern Metropolis project. A key measure shortens town planning procedures in non-conservation areas from nine months to two. Experts say it will not undermine the Town Planning Board's authority.

Von KI berichtet

Sources indicate that Hong Kong's budget will allocate huge funds to advance innovation in the Northern Metropolis and offer incentives for the aerospace sector. Officials plan tripartite cooperation between developers and tech firms to drive progress. The measures aim to boost research and development and attract companies.

A winning bid involving Henderson Land Development to operate a major Hong Kong harbourfront event space has expanded the developer's footprint in Central to three prime locations. Experts say this could result in greater accessibility and more visitors from surrounding commercial properties.

Von KI berichtet

Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan unveiled the 2026 budget on Wednesday, emphasizing investments in artificial intelligence and infrastructure while facing criticism for the absence of direct cash handouts to residents. The budget projects a surplus and includes a rare transfer from the Exchange Fund.

Hong Kong's government investment agency, the Hong Kong Investment Corporation, will take on a bigger role in attracting commercial property investment while advancing an alliance for Chinese-developed RISC-V chips. Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po pledged additional funding to the corporation in Wednesday's budget speech. The HKIC manages HK$62 billion (US$8 billion) in government funds and has invested in more than 190 high-technology projects.

Von KI berichtet

Hong Kong lawmakers on Friday voiced concerns about the lack of parking at the upgraded Huanggang border crossing, deeming shuttle bus services inconvenient. Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung said authorities plan to build a nearby car park with shuttle buses to the checkpoint. Lawmakers called for an on-site public car park similar to the one at Heung Yuen Wai crossing.

 

 

 

Diese Website verwendet Cookies

Wir verwenden Cookies für Analysen, um unsere Website zu verbessern. Lesen Sie unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie für weitere Informationen.
Ablehnen