Pope Leo appoints ex-Manila nuncio as U.S. envoy

Pope Leo XIV has appointed the former apostolic nuncio to the Philippines as the Holy See's envoy to the United States. Archbishop Gabriele Giordano Caccia, currently the permanent observer to the United Nations, will replace Cardinal Christophe Pierre, who is retiring.

MANILA, Philippines — Pope Leo XIV has appointed Archbishop Gabriele Giordano Caccia as apostolic nuncio to the United States, according to a statement from the Holy See Press Office on Saturday, March 7. Caccia, titular of Sepino and currently the Holy See's permanent observer at the United Nations in New York, will replace Cardinal Christophe Pierre, 80, who has served as the Vatican's ambassador to the U.S. since 2016.

Pope Francis appointed Caccia as apostolic nuncio to the Philippines in September 2017, during the administration of former president Rodrigo Duterte, at the height of the government's war on drugs when relations between the Catholic Church and Duterte were tense. In 2019, Pope Francis named Caccia the permanent observer to the United Nations, and Archbishop Charles Brown replaced him in the Philippine post.

Despite the tensions, Duterte awarded Caccia the Order of Sikatuna, Rank of Datu, upon his departure.

“The Holy Father has appointed Archbishop Gabriele Giordano Caccia, titular of Sepino, until now Holy See Permanent Observer at the United Nations in New York, as apostolic nuncio in the United States of America,” the Holy See's statement read.

Verwandte Artikel

Pope Leo XIV gestures for peace at Vatican podium, rejecting media narratives of feud with Trump amid U.S.-Israel-Iran tensions.
Bild generiert von KI

Pope Leo XIV rejects talk of a feud with Trump, says he will keep preaching peace

Von KI berichtet Bild generiert von KI Fakten geprüft

Pope Leo XIV said he has no interest in debating U.S. President Donald Trump and dismissed what he called an inaccurate media narrative portraying the two as “at war,” comments that came as the Vatican and the White House have publicly clashed over the U.S.-Israeli military campaign against Iran.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has appointed Raphael 'Popo' Lotilla as the Philippines' new ambassador to the Holy See, according to Malacañang. Lotilla did not resign but requested a lighter assignment, with Undersecretary Juan Miguel Cuna serving as acting DENR secretary.

Von KI berichtet

Papst Leo XIV. gab am Montag (30.) die Ernennung des 75-jährigen brasilianischen Klimatologen Carlos Nobre zum Mitglied des Dikasteriums für den Dienst am ganzheitlichen menschlichen Fortschritt bekannt. Nobre, ein führender Experte für den Klimawandel und den Amazonas, schließt sich damit Bischöfen, Priestern und Theologen an. Dieser Schritt unterstreicht das Engagement der Kirche für Umweltfragen.

Der französische Präsident Emmanuel Macron trifft am Freitagmorgen ab 10 Uhr im Vatikan Papst Leo XIV. Dieses erste Treffen, fast ein Jahr nach der Wahl des amerikanischen Pontifex zum Nachfolger von Franziskus, umfasst Themen wie den Nahostkonflikt, Lebensende-Fragen, katholische Schulen und Algerien. Macron wird den Papst nach Frankreich einladen, wobei eine Reise für September in Erwägung gezogen wird.

Von KI berichtet

Manila Archbishop Jose Cardinal Advincula told Catholic faithful on Easter Sunday to resist global indifference and the normalization of genocide amid ongoing world wars. He echoed sentiments from the late Pope Francis about a 'piecemeal Third World War' and Pope Leo XIV's call to end conflicts causing widespread suffering. The message highlights Jesus' resurrection as a source of hope and resistance.

Lawyer Melvin Matibag, a former Cabinet secretary under ex-President Rodrigo Duterte, is set to become the new director of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). Presidential Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro announced this at a press briefing. He will replace Lito Magno, who served as officer-in-charge since October last year following the resignation of former director Jaime Santiago.

Von KI berichtet

During the Fiesta de la Resurrección in Madrid's Plaza de Cibeles, Cardinal José Cobo read a letter from Pope Leo XIV announcing a vigil with youth and families at the same site on June 6. The event drew 85,000 attendees who enjoyed performances by Gypsy Kings, Boney M, and Hakuna. The announcement is part of the Pope's Spain itinerary from June 6 to 9.

 

 

 

Diese Website verwendet Cookies

Wir verwenden Cookies für Analysen, um unsere Website zu verbessern. Lesen Sie unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie für weitere Informationen.
Ablehnen