House ready to receive impeachment complaints against VP Sara Duterte on February 6

The House of Representatives is ready to receive and act on any impeachment complaint against Vice President Sara Duterte starting February 6, public accounts committee chair Terry Ridon said. This follows the Supreme Court's decision clarifying notice requirements for the express route of impeachment filing. The court's one-year bar rule against Duterte lapses on that date.

MANILA, Philippines — The House of Representatives is prepared to proceed under the Constitution and House rules while complying with the Supreme Court's clarified notice requirements on the so-called express route of impeachment filing, public accounts committee chair Terry Ridon said. "We respect the decision of the Supreme Court in this matter. But, we want to make it clear that on Feb. 6, Congress is ready to accept and hear all new complaints against VP Sara Duterte," Ridon said during the Saturday forum.

In resolving the House's motion for reconsideration, the Supreme Court effectively removed the restrictive due process requirements imposed in its earlier decision, particularly those requiring advance notice and copies of evidence to be furnished to impeachable officers at the filing stage. "The Supreme Court back-pedalled from their restrictive due process requirements in their original decision where they are requiring to give the respondent impeachable officers the chance to answer and have copy of the evidence. It is no longer in the resolution for the motion for reconsideration," Ridon clarified.

The High Court's modification now places the documentary 'notice' burden on House members who move through the express or one-third route: they must have a copy of the draft impeachment complaint and all accompanying evidence. Additionally, all members in plenary deliberations under this route should have copies of the articles of impeachment and evidence.

For his part, good government and public accountability committee chair and Manila 3rd district Rep. Joel Chua said House members will comply with the ruling but reserve disagreement on portions that intrude on internal rules. "When it comes to the substance, they did not mention it here. So, it is still good and very interesting because until now the content of the impeachment complaint has not been resolved yet," Chua noted. Ridon agreed, emphasizing that the Supreme Court's decision focused on technical and procedural questions, not the substantive allegations.

Among the bases for the impeachment raps were aliases of confidential fund recipients, including 'Mary Grace Piattos,' which drew public curiosity and ridicule. Last year, House deputy speaker and Zambales 1st district Rep. Jay Khonghun revealed that Piattos allegedly received the largest share of confidential funds disbursed by the Office of the Vice President in December 2022. The controversy involved 158 acknowledgment receipts for P125 million allegedly spent in 11 days. During the 19th Congress, the House committee investigated how the OVP and Department of Education handled P612.5 million in confidential funds across 2022 and 2023, when Duterte served as both vice president and education secretary.

Liittyvät artikkelit

House justice committee holds first impeachment hearing for VP Sara Duterte without her or lawyers present, focusing on procedural agenda and audit evidence.
AI:n luoma kuva

House proceeds with VP Sara Duterte impeachment hearing on March 25

Raportoinut AI AI:n luoma kuva

The House justice committee proceeds with the first impeachment hearing against Vice President Sara Duterte on March 25, 2026, despite her and her lawyers' absence. The agenda includes ground rules, pending motions, subpoenas, and witnesses for the April 14 public hearing. Officials stress the proceedings are evidence-based from official audit findings.

The House of Representatives has formally initiated impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte after forwarding four verified complaints to the justice committee for deliberation.

Raportoinut AI

Vice President Sara Duterte was formally ordered on Thursday, March 5, to respond to two impeachment complaints filed against her at the House of Representatives. The Office of the Vice President received the notice from the House justice committee at its headquarters in Mandaluyong City. She has a non-extendible 10-day period to file a verified answer.

Vice President Sara Duterte has received an invitation from the House committee on justice to attend its March 25 hearing on impeachment complaints filed against her, her counsel confirmed. The invitation calls for her personal attendance at the Quezon City event. It remains unclear if she will attend.

Raportoinut AI

Petitioners and endorsers of the second impeachment complaint against Vice President Sara Duterte have withdrawn their support and are now backing the third complaint filed by clergy members and lawyers. This occurs as the House justice committee begins proceedings on March 2, 2026. The move aims to expedite the process toward accountability.

The Supreme Court has denied Vice President Sara Duterte's request for a temporary restraining order to halt impeachment proceedings against her. The court consolidated the petitions and ordered the House Committee on Justice to comment within 10 days. Hearings will proceed on April 14 without the TRO.

Raportoinut AI

A lawyer has urged the House committee on justice to postpone its April 14 hearing on impeachment complaints against Vice President Sara Duterte while awaiting a Supreme Court decision. Duterte filed a petition seeking a temporary restraining order to halt the proceedings. Her counsel described postponement as the prudent course.

 

 

 

Tämä verkkosivusto käyttää evästeitä

Käytämme evästeitä analyysiä varten parantaaksemme sivustoamme. Lue tietosuojakäytäntömme tietosuojakäytäntö lisätietoja varten.
Hylkää