Lee aide suggests extra budget if Mideast crisis drags on

A senior Cheong Wa Dae official said the government may consider another supplementary budget in the second half if the Middle East crisis persists. Hong Ik-pyo, presidential secretary for political affairs, denied opposition claims that the pending 26.2 trillion-won extra budget seeks political leverage before June 3 local elections. He cited downgraded growth forecasts and rising fuel prices.

Hong Ik-pyo, presidential secretary for political affairs, stated on MBN radio on April 5 that "if the Middle East situation prolongs, we might need an additional supplementary budget in the second half, even after the current extra budget."

He pointed to downward revisions of about 0.4 percentage point in South Korea's growth outlook for this year by domestic and foreign research institutes, along with continued rises in fuel prices despite tax cuts. "We do not know how many more months the war in the Middle East will last, and even after it ends, it will take at least three to four months for supply channels to normalize," Hong added.

Hong denied the main opposition's claim that the 26.2 trillion-won ($17.3 billion) extra budget bill, pending parliamentary review, aims at political leverage ahead of the June 3 local elections.

On U.S. President Donald Trump's calls for allies to assist war efforts against Iran, Hong reiterated a cautious stance. "We remain very cautious," he said. "The United States has not formally requested South Korea deploy troops." He noted diplomatic burdens for any military support, difficulties at the U.N. Security Council due to China and Russia opposition, and limitations under international law.

संबंधित लेख

South Korean officials agree on 25 trillion-won budget to counter Middle East crisis and oil price surge.
AI द्वारा उत्पन्न छवि

South Korean gov't, ruling party agree on 25 trillion-won supplementary budget amid Middle East crisis

AI द्वारा रिपोर्ट किया गया AI द्वारा उत्पन्न छवि

South Korea's government, ruling Democratic Party and presidential office agreed on a 25 trillion-won supplementary budget to address the Middle East crisis. The bill is set for submission to the National Assembly by end-March and passage on April 10. It aims to ease high oil prices and economic uncertainties.

The South Korean government plans to swiftly prepare a supplementary budget using excess tax revenue to ease livelihood burdens from the Middle East conflict, without issuing additional state bonds. This follows an order from President Lee Jae Myung. The budget will focus on alleviating logistics and fuel costs while supporting low-income households.

AI द्वारा रिपोर्ट किया गया

South Korea's National Assembly passed a 26.2 trillion-won ($17.7 billion) extra budget bill on April 10 to address economic fallout from the Middle East conflict, with a 214-11 vote. The ruling Democratic Party and opposition People Power Party agreed to maintain the government's proposed size. About 35.8 million people will receive cash payments ranging from 100,000 to 600,000 won based on income and region.

Finance Minister Koo Yun-cheol said Monday that temporary price caps on fuel products will remain in place for some time due to instability in the Middle East.

AI द्वारा रिपोर्ट किया गया

President Lee Jae Myung is set to meet leaders of the ruling and main opposition parties on Tuesday to discuss measures to mitigate economic fallout from the Middle East war. The gathering at Cheong Wa Dae includes key figures from the Democratic Party of Korea and People Power Party, marking the first such meeting since September last year.

The Middle East conflict, triggered by U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran, has intensified with Mojtaba Khamenei named as Iran's new supreme leader. Global oil prices have surged past $114 per barrel, pushing the South Korean won to a 17-year low against the U.S. dollar. The South Korean government is bolstering evacuation efforts and economic stabilization measures.

AI द्वारा रिपोर्ट किया गया

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) kept its 2026 growth forecast for South Korea unchanged at 1.9 percent despite the Middle East crisis. The institution raised its inflation outlook for this year by 0.7 percentage point to 2.5 percent, citing rising global oil prices. The Ministry of Economy and Finance said strong exports and effects from a supplementary budget kept the growth outlook steady.

 

 

 

यह वेबसाइट कुकीज़ का उपयोग करती है

हम अपनी साइट को बेहतर बनाने के लिए विश्लेषण के लिए कुकीज़ का उपयोग करते हैं। अधिक जानकारी के लिए हमारी गोपनीयता नीति पढ़ें।
अस्वीकार करें