Two Hong Kong labs linked to suspected blood sample smuggling

Hong Kong health authorities are investigating the suspected illegal importation of blood samples from mainland China for fetal gender testing, involving two laboratories. The case came to light after media inquiries about social media promotions for blood draws targeting pregnant mainland women.

Hong Kong's Department of Health announced on Wednesday that it is investigating a case of suspected illegal importation of blood samples from mainland China for fetal gender testing. The department said it had notified mainland authorities and referred the two implicated laboratories—NovaGene Diagnostic Laboratory Limited and Zentrogene Bioscience Laboratory Limited—to the Medical Laboratory Technologists Board for appropriate actions against the registered medical laboratory technologists involved.

The case surfaced after the department received media inquiries regarding social media promotions arranging blood draws for pregnant women from the mainland. “[The department] referred relevant information regarding the two laboratories in question to the Medical Laboratory Technologists Board for appropriate actions against the registered medical laboratory technologists concerned,” it said.

The board is a statutory body responsible for maintaining a register of medical lab technologists. Under the law, lab technologists cannot perform tests for medical diagnosis or treatment without a referral from a registered medical practitioner or other specified healthcare professional.

The department highlighted that such activities breach ordinances including the Undesirable Medical Advertisements Ordinance and the Medical Clinics Ordinance. While no arrests have been made, authorities have alerted the Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department to probe potential illegal importation. This incident underscores regulatory challenges in cross-border medical services, particularly in the sensitive area of fetal gender testing, which is strictly restricted on the mainland.

Artikel Terkait

Acclaimed biologist Xu Xianzhong has returned to China and joined the Shenzhen Medical Academy of Research and Translation as a senior investigator. The move follows the arrest last year of three researchers from his former laboratory at the University of Michigan on smuggling charges.

Dilaporkan oleh AI

Hong Kong will trial a “mosquito-to-control-mosquito” strategy next year, infecting male mosquitoes with bacteria to prevent their offspring from maturing, following the city’s first local dengue fever case in over a year. Director of Food and Environmental Hygiene Donald Ng Man-kit announced the plan on Sunday, saying the government would consider stepping up measures amid a rapid mosquito population rise this month.

Hong Kong's Department of Health announced on Saturday an investigation into a possible food poisoning cluster affecting 53 trainees believed to be from the Hong Kong Police College. The cases involve 48 males and five females, aged 20 to 40, who developed symptoms of abdominal pain, diarrhoea, vomiting and fever since Thursday evening.

Dilaporkan oleh AI

Maharashtra police have busted an inter-state illegal IVF network that exploited financially vulnerable women for repeated egg donations. Several arrests have been made, with authorities recovering hormonal injections and forged Aadhaar cards. The racket posed serious health risks to donors.

 

 

 

Situs web ini menggunakan cookie

Kami menggunakan cookie untuk analisis guna meningkatkan situs kami. Baca kebijakan privasi kami untuk informasi lebih lanjut.
Tolak