Hong Kong deploys robotic dragons to clear flooding after heavy rain

Hong Kong emergency crews used robotic water-pumping dragons to tackle flooding in the northern New Territories after intense downpours triggered a red rainstorm warning early Thursday.

The Hong Kong Observatory issued an amber rainstorm warning at 9pm on Wednesday before upgrading it to red at 2.40am on Thursday. More than 120mm of rain fell in the North district between 7.45pm and 9.45pm, with over 100mm recorded in Tsuen Wan, Kwai Tsing, Tai Po and Sai Kung.

Crews worked through the night using robotic “water-pumping dragons” to clear floodwater in low-lying areas including Ta Kwu Ling and Fanling. Videos showed vehicles stranded on roads such as Ping Che Road.

The Observatory said showers associated with upper-air disturbances would ease and weather would improve on Friday.

Articoli correlati

Flooded Jakarta street with chest-high water; residents and rescuers evacuate amid heavy rain.
Immagine generata dall'IA

Heavy rains cause floods in dozens of RTs in Jakarta

Riportato dall'IA Immagine generata dall'IA

Heavy rains pounding Jakarta and surrounding areas since Saturday night until Sunday morning, March 8, 2026, have caused flooding in 75 RTs and 19 roads in West, South, and East Jakarta. Water levels reached up to 1.7 meters in some spots, forcing residents to evacuate and disrupting road access. The DKI Jakarta BPBD has deployed personnel for evacuations and flood mitigation.

Hong Kong can expect more showers with thunderstorms on Sunday, the Hong Kong Observatory said, after Saturday's downpours triggered an amber rainstorm warning and required hiker rescues. Rain was particularly heavy in Tai Po district.

Riportato dall'IA

Hong Kong authorities have launched an AI-driven flood forecasting and alert system capable of 3D simulations to enable timelier pre-emptive measures and emergency responses. It helps plan faster responses and preventive actions in high-risk areas. The technology adds to the territory-wide flood risk visualisation system deployed after last year's Super Typhoon Ragasa.

Firefighters battling Hong Kong’s deadliest inferno in decades prioritized controlling the blaze over evacuating residents due to its unprecedented scale, a public inquiry has heard. Four Fire Services Department officers testified on Monday about the initial stages of the 43-hour fire that ravaged Wang Fuk Court in November. Commander Raymond Wong King-man stated, “If you cannot put out the fire, how can you save those trapped inside?”

Riportato dall'IA

Hong Kong’s East Dam welcomed about 1,400 visitors daily over the first four days of the Easter break despite adverse weather, conservation authorities said. The Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department recorded 18 enforcement actions for littering and illegal camping at Sai Kung East Country Park. Authorities vowed to explore long-term management strategies for popular sites.

Questo sito web utilizza i cookie

Utilizziamo i cookie per l'analisi per migliorare il nostro sito. Leggi la nostra politica sulla privacy per ulteriori informazioni.
Rifiuta