Prudence Sekgodiso prioritises recovery for outdoor season return

South African athlete Prudence Sekgodiso skipped the World Indoor Championships in Poland to focus on recovery, avoiding a repeat of last year's injury. She spoke to Daily Maverick about her early-season struggles and plans for upcoming races. Sekgodiso aims for the Commonwealth Games in July.

Prudence Sekgodiso, who won gold in the 800m at the 2025 World Indoor Championships in Nanjing with a time of 1:58.40, was absent from this year's event in Poland from 20 to 22 March. South Africa sent six athletes, including Luvo Manyonga, but Sekgodiso withdrew after two early races showed her body was not responding well.

Sekgodiso ran at the Czech Indoor Gala in Ostrava on 3 February, finishing seventh in 2:04.26, and fourth in the 800m B final at the Belgrade Indoor Meeting on 11 February. 'I think I ran two races. I was supposed to run three but the first two didn’t go according to the plan. I feel like we rushed things with my training,' she told Daily Maverick. She and coach Samuel Sepeng decided to prioritise recovery to prevent another injury like her hamstring issue at the 2025 World Championships in Tokyo.

Last year's intense schedule included strong Diamond League performances: second in Rabat on 25 May and Eugene on 5 July, third in Stockholm on 15 June, and personal bests of 1:57.16. The Tokyo injury ended her medal hopes. 'I remember the first two days after pulling the hammy, that first night I couldn’t sleep,' Sekgodiso said.

Now focusing on the outdoor season, she competes next at the Hezekiel Sepeng Invitational in Potchefstroom on 7 April. Her main goal is the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in July, deciding between 800m or 1500m, targeting sub-4:05 in the latter. 'I’m excited to be back' and injury-free, she added.

関連記事

Australian athletics team, led by high jump star Nicola Olyslagers, posing confidently for World Indoor Championships in Poland.
AIによって生成された画像

Australia names strong team for world indoor athletics championships

AIによるレポート AIによって生成された画像

Australia has announced an 11-athlete team led by back-to-back high jump champion Nicola Olyslagers for the World Athletics Indoor Championships Kujawy Pomorze 26 in Toruń, Poland, from March 20-22. The squad includes six global medallists, such as pole vaulter Kurtis Marschall and middle-distance runner Jessica Hull, aiming to build on recent successes. Olyslagers targets a rare third consecutive indoor title.

South African long jumper Luvo Manyonga is set to compete at the World Indoor Championships in Poland on 22 March, marking his return to the global stage after seven years. The 35-year-old, who has overcome addiction and two suspensions, achieved a season-best jump of 8.11m recently.

AIによるレポート

Jakub Szymański set a Polish record and world lead in the 60m hurdles, while Jessica Schilder matched her Dutch record with a world-leading shot put throw at the ISTAF Indoor in Berlin. The event served as preparation for the upcoming World Athletics Indoor Championships. Other athletes also posted strong performances in various events.

Colorado middle-distance runner Avery Pearson has been selected to represent Canada at the 2026 World Athletics Indoor Championships. She will compete in the women's 800 meters event in Poland next March. The announcement highlights her standout indoor season with the University of Colorado Buffs.

AIによるレポート

Ecuador's Paula Torres and Peru's Kimberly Garcia will face off for the seventh time in 12 months at the Dudinska 50 race walking event in Dudince, Slovakia, on March 7, 2026. Torres holds a 5-1 edge in their recent encounters, having overtaken Garcia's prior dominance. The meet introduces new half marathon and marathon distances as official senior events.

Following team announcements from nations including Great Britain and Kenya, Ireland has named a squad led by Kate O'Connor, while Canada selected 13 athletes headlined by Sarah Mitton and Christopher Morales Williams, for the 2026 World Athletics Indoor Championships in Torun, Poland, March 20-22. Both aim for medals at the event.

AIによるレポート

Kenyan marathon world record holder Sabastian Sawe will compete again in Berlin on September 27. He confirmed his participation and said he aims to defend his title from last year.

 

 

 

このウェブサイトはCookieを使用します

サイトを改善するための分析にCookieを使用します。詳細については、プライバシーポリシーをお読みください。
拒否