South Korean President Lee Jae-myung addresses top military leaders on retaking wartime control from the US and defense reforms amid regional threats.
South Korean President Lee Jae-myung addresses top military leaders on retaking wartime control from the US and defense reforms amid regional threats.
Bild genererad av AI

Lee vows swift retaking of wartime command from U.S., military reforms

Bild genererad av AI

President Lee Jae-myung said on Friday that South Korea will swiftly retake wartime operational control from the United States and accelerate military reforms including selective conscription. Speaking at a meeting with top military leaders in Seoul, he urged forces to heighten readiness amid a 'grave' security situation involving a prolonged Middle East war and North Korea's border fortifications in the DMZ. He stressed self-reliant defense while maintaining the Korea-U.S. alliance.

SEOUL (Yonhap) -- President Lee Jae-myung said Friday South Korea will swiftly pursue retaking wartime operational control of its military from the United States and accelerate reforms, including selective conscription.

Lee made the remarks during a meeting with top military brass at the defense ministry in Seoul. He called for heightened readiness to address a "grave" security situation amid a prolonged war in the Middle East and North Korea's installation of iron fences and anti-tank barriers along the Military Demarcation Line inside the DMZ.

"Self-reliant defense capability is essential to respond to the rapidly changing security environment," Lee said. "The retaking of wartime operational control will be swiftly pursued."

North Korean troops have been observed reinforcing the border since April last year. "The military's top priority is to maintain the highest level of readiness to respond to any provocation or threat," Lee added. "(I) urge the military to maintain a robust combined defense posture based on the Korea-U.S. alliance."

The handover depends on South Korea leading combined forces, securing advanced strike and missile defense capabilities, and a stable regional environment, as assessed in this month's Freedom Shield exercise.

Lee also pushed reforms for modern warfare, proposing selective conscription that retains 18-21 months mandatory service for men but allows choices between standard duty and tech-specialized roles to tackle recruitment shortfalls and high-tech needs.

Vad folk säger

Reactions on X to President Lee Jae-myung's vow to swiftly retake wartime operational control from the US and accelerate military reforms including selective conscription are polarized. Supporters praise it as essential for military sovereignty and self-reliant defense in a changing security environment. Critics warn it could weaken the ROK-US alliance, lead to US troop reductions, undermine deterrence against North Korea, and fail to address manpower shortages realistically.

Relaterade artiklar

Kim Jong-un chairs a meeting with army commanders to order reinforcement of southern border defenses.
Bild genererad av AI

Kim Jong-un chairs army meeting and orders southern border defense buildup

Rapporterad av AI Bild genererad av AI

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un convened a meeting with army commanders on Sunday and ordered reinforcement of front-line units along the southern border. State media reported the move as part of Pyongyang's ongoing efforts to boost combat readiness.

President Lee Jae-myung met with six U.S. lawmakers from the Congressional Study Group on Korea in Seoul on April 2 and reaffirmed his commitment to regaining wartime operational control from Washington. He stated that along with increasing defense spending, South Korea aims to reduce the U.S. burden and safeguard peace on the Korean Peninsula with its own capabilities. The remarks follow criticism from former President Donald Trump.

Rapporterad av AI

South Korea and the United States have agreed to strengthen cooperation in areas of mutual security interest, including the transfer of wartime operational control and alliance modernization.

Lt. Gen. Scott Winter, deputy commander of the U.N. Command (UNC), urged prudence in any changes to the control and use of the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. He described the armistice as a "proven framework" and warned against undermining it. The remarks come as the U.S.-led UNC objects to bills promoting peaceful use of the military buffer zone.

Rapporterad av AI

President Lee Jae-myung is scheduled to meet a delegation of U.S. House lawmakers on Tuesday amid the Middle East war and ongoing Seoul-Washington talks on South Korea's $350 billion investment plan in the U.S. under a bilateral trade deal.

Denna webbplats använder cookies

Vi använder cookies för analys för att förbättra vår webbplats. Läs vår integritetspolicy för mer information.
Avböj