IT ministry proposes new rules for social media news content

India's Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has released a draft amendment to the IT Rules 2021, bringing news content posted by individual users under the same framework as publishers. Social media platforms must comply with ministry guidelines or face legal action. Comments are invited until April 14.

New Delhi: India's Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) released a draft of proposed amendments to the IT Rules 2021 on Monday for public consultation. The changes bring news and current affairs content posted online by individual users under the same framework as that posted by publishers, allowing for deletion, modification, or emergency blocking.

An IT ministry official said on condition of anonymity, "News items on social media are largely unregulated, which was the feedback we received from MIB. That is why these amendments have been proposed." The official added that content shared by a regular user from a news publisher would also fall within the scope.

The amendments expand the information and broadcasting ministry's (MIB) blocking powers, including through the Inter Disciplinary Committee (IDC), which can now take up "matters" rather than just complaints. Pallavi Sondhi, senior associate at Ikigai Law, said the changes mark "a subtle but significant expansion of the MIB’s powers," extending to the user-generated content ecosystem.

Platforms must comply with any "clarification, advisory, order, direction, standard operating procedure, code of practice or guideline" issued by MeitY, now tied to safe harbour protections under Section 79. An official cited the Grok case, noting platforms had not taken advisories seriously. Meghna Bal of Esya Centre raised concerns over the lack of safeguards, saying there are "no checks except judicial recourse."

Makala yanayohusiana

India's Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology proposed persistent labels for AI-generated content on social media in a notice issued on April 21. The move amends IT Rules to enhance oversight on user-generated news. Feedback is invited until May 7.

Imeripotiwa na AI

The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has doubled its online content blocking orders to 24,300 in 2025, officials said, citing a surge in deepfakes and AI-generated content. Roughly 60% of these orders targeted URLs on X, formerly Twitter, with 25% for Facebook and Instagram, and 5% for YouTube.

The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) is studying a potential ban on the encrypted messaging app Telegram due to concerns over illegal activities like pornography and gambling. This follows a similar proposal for Signal earlier in the month. Rights groups worry about impacts on private communication rights.

Imeripotiwa na AI

India's markets regulator Sebi approved major changes to conflict-of-interest guidelines for its top officials and eased rules for foreign portfolio investors. The measures seek to standardize trading restrictions and enhance ease of doing business.

South Africa's Electoral Commission has raised alarms over the rapid spread of disinformation on social media ahead of the November 4 local government elections. Outreach deputy CEO Victor Shale highlighted how peddlers create new crises daily, outpacing current safeguards.

Tovuti hii inatumia vidakuzi

Tunatumia vidakuzi kwa uchambuzi ili kuboresha tovuti yetu. Soma sera ya faragha yetu kwa maelezo zaidi.
Kataa