Philippines asks Iran to treat it as non-hostile country

The Philippines has asked Iran to regard it as a non-hostile country to ensure safe passage of oil tankers through the Strait of Hormuz. Foreign Affairs Secretary Maria Theresa Lazaro and Energy Secretary Sharon Garin met Iranian Ambassador Yousef Esmaeilzadeh on April 1, 2026. Iran responded positively, officials said.

On Wednesday, April 1, 2026, in Manila, Foreign Affairs Secretary Maria Theresa Lazaro and Energy Secretary Sharon Garin met with Iranian Ambassador to the Philippines Yousef Esmaeilzadeh. This marked the first formal meeting since the United States and Israel launched war on Iran in late February 2026. The Philippines requested designation as a non-hostile country and safe passage for Philippine-flagged vessels and oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway for 20% of global oil headed to Asia.

Presidential Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro described the meeting as ‘exceptionally warm and open.’ ‘Given their stated readiness to cooperate, we are highly optimistic about a favorable outcome,’ she said. Castro quoted the ambassador as saying Iran had been awaiting the Philippines' outreach and reaffirmed its ‘strong willingness’ to assist with the requests.

The move is crucial for protecting Filipino seafarers and the country's energy supply, as most Philippine oil comes from the Middle East. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has declared a yearlong state of national energy emergency. Lazaro is scheduled to meet Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Thursday, April 2, to secure these commitments at the highest level.

The Philippines has called for a cessation of hostilities and civilian protection, maintaining neutrality despite its treaty alliance with the US.

Makala yanayohusiana

Illustration of Philippine vessels safely passing through the Strait of Hormuz following Iran's assurance.
Picha iliyoundwa na AI

Iran allows safe passage for Philippine ships through Strait of Hormuz

Imeripotiwa na AI Picha iliyoundwa na AI

Iran has assured safe, unhindered passage for Philippine-flagged vessels, energy shipments, and Filipino seafarers through the Strait of Hormuz amid Middle East tensions. Foreign Affairs Secretary Theresa Lazaro confirmed the agreement following a phone call with Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi on April 2. The deal is vital for the safety of Filipino seafarers and the Philippines' energy security.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. assured that the Philippines has sufficient petroleum supply despite gas prices doubling due to the Gulf war. Foreign Affairs Secretary Maria Theresa Lazaro spoke with her Iranian counterpart to secure safe passage for Philippine vessels and seafarers in the Strait of Hormuz. The country received 700,000 barrels of Russian crude oil thanks to a US waiver.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Two vessels carrying Filipino seafarers safely exited the Strait of Hormuz on April 25, bringing the total number moved out of the high-risk area to nearly 1,200, following diplomatic assurances from Iran. The Department of Migrant Workers reported 36 Filipinos aboard these vessels, with 15 others remaining on two ships seized by Iranian forces.

South Korea is in close talks with Iran and other countries to normalize passage through the Strait of Hormuz after Tehran offered to allow Japan-bound vessels amid the Middle East crisis. A foreign ministry official said the government is actively communicating with relevant nations while monitoring the situation.

Imeripotiwa na AI

China and the Philippines resumed high-level dialogue on Saturday in Quanzhou, Fujian province, through the 11th meeting of the South China Sea bilateral consultation mechanism and the 24th round of China-Philippines Foreign Ministry Consultations. Vice-Foreign Minister Sun Weidong and Philippine Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for Policy Leo M. Herrera-Lim co-chaired the talks, with Beijing urging Manila to match words with actions.

Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi expressed 'serious concern' over attacks on vessels around the Strait of Hormuz during an online G7 leaders' meeting, urging early de-escalation. Japan plans to lead in releasing oil reserves to avert an economic crisis through international coordination.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi met Russian President Vladimir Putin in St. Petersburg on Monday, as President Donald Trump reviewed a new Iranian proposal on the Strait of Hormuz. Putin expressed strong support for Iran amid its conflict with the US and Israel. The visit follows Araghchi's diplomatic tour of Pakistan and Oman.

 

 

 

Tovuti hii inatumia vidakuzi

Tunatumia vidakuzi kwa uchambuzi ili kuboresha tovuti yetu. Soma sera ya faragha yetu kwa maelezo zaidi.
Kataa