Court rejects Basson’s bid to halt disciplinary hearing

North Gauteng High Court has dismissed Dr Wouter Basson’s application for a permanent stay of his Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) disciplinary hearing. Judge Irene de Vos stated the charges are serious. Basson, former head of the apartheid era’s chemical and biological warfare programme, faces four charges.

The 75-year-old cardiologist Dr Wouter Basson, who runs a thriving private practice in Cape Town, faces HPCSA charges related to the production of substances including Mandrax, MDMA and tear gas on a major scale, the weaponisation of CR gas in mortars used in Angola, manufacturing substances to tranquillise and kidnap POWs in Namibia, and distributing cyanide capsules to special units.

Judge Irene de Vos dismissed Basson’s application last week, noting that the charges are serious and “tip the scales against granting a permanent stay”.

The South African Medical Association (Sama) calls for his removal from the register. “Accountability in medicine is not subject to expiry. Medical ethics apply in all contexts, including military service,” said chairperson Dr Mzulungile Nodikida.

Basson headed Project Coast, disbanded in 1995. He was acquitted in 2002 on 67 charges by Judge Willie Hartzenberg, despite a 2014 HPCSA finding of misconduct that he later successfully challenged.

مقالات ذات صلة

Illustration of NPA prosecutors announcing charges in the Life Esidimeni tragedy case, with grieving families present, symbolizing long-awaited accountability.
صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

NPA to prosecute Life Esidimeni officials after nearly a decade

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has announced criminal prosecutions against individuals implicated in the Life Esidimeni tragedy, where at least 141 mental healthcare users died in 2015 and 2016. The patients had been transferred from licensed facilities to unregistered and ill-equipped NGOs. Families and activists hail the decision as a vital step toward accountability.

Reverend Frank Chikane told the Khampepe commission that authorities failed to pursue leads from plea agreements in apartheid-era cases. He highlighted the 2007 suspended sentences for those who plotted his poisoning and questioned why more was not done.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

Geophrey Ledwaba, former head of operations at the Scorpions, testified at the Khampepe Commission of Inquiry that he did not halt investigations into Truth and Reconciliation Commission matters in 2003. He described his actions as a compliance with National Prosecution Authority policy to transfer cases to the Priority Crimes Litigation Unit. The testimony counters claims by victim families of political interference blocking justice.

A veteran advocate has told an inquiry that apartheid-era generals tried to halt investigations into past atrocities by threatening to expose senior ANC figures. The testimony came at the Khampepe Commission examining delays in Truth and Reconciliation Commission prosecutions.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

Matipandile Sotheni, a former SAPS Special Task Force member, appeared in Brakpan Magistrate’s Court on charges including the murder of Madlanga Commission witness Marius van der Merwe, known as Witness D. The National Prosecuting Authority opposes bail due to the seriousness of the Schedule 6 offences. Experts express concern over organised crime syndicates recruiting highly trained officers.

North West businessman Brown Mogotsi was arrested shortly after finishing testimony at the Madlanga Commission in Pretoria on Friday. His lawyer confirmed the arrest followed proceedings where Mogotsi’s bid to recuse evidence leader Matthew Chaskalson was dismissed. Police said the arrest relates to defeating the ends of justice.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

South Africa's National Police Commissioner Fannie Masemola made his first court appearance in Pretoria on April 21, 2026, facing four charges of contravening the Public Finance Management Act. The charges relate to a R360-million police tender allegedly irregularly awarded to Vusimuzi 'Cat' Matlala's company. The case was postponed to May 13.

 

 

 

يستخدم هذا الموقع ملفات تعريف الارتباط

نستخدم ملفات تعريف الارتباط للتحليلات لتحسين موقعنا. اقرأ سياسة الخصوصية الخاصة بنا سياسة الخصوصية لمزيد من المعلومات.
رفض