Tribunal rejeita tentativa de Basson de interromper audiência disciplinar

O Tribunal Superior de Gauteng do Norte rejeitou o pedido do Dr. Wouter Basson para uma suspensão permanente de sua audiência disciplinar no Conselho de Profissões de Saúde da África do Sul (HPCSA). A juíza Irene de Vos declarou que as acusações são graves. Basson, ex-chefe do programa de guerra química e biológica da era do apartheid, enfrenta quatro acusações.

O cardiologista Dr. Wouter Basson, de 75 anos, que mantém uma clínica particular próspera na Cidade do Cabo, enfrenta acusações do HPCSA relacionadas à produção de substâncias incluindo Mandrax, MDMA e gás lacrimogêneo em larga escala, a transformação de gás CR em arma para morteiros usados em Angola, a fabricação de substâncias para sedar e sequestrar prisioneiros de guerra na Namíbia, e a distribuição de cápsulas de cianeto para unidades especiais.

A juíza Irene de Vos rejeitou o pedido de Basson na semana passada, observando que as acusações são graves e “pesam na balança contra a concessão de uma suspensão permanente”.

A Associação Médica Sul-Africana (Sama) pede sua remoção do registro. “A responsabilidade na medicina não está sujeita a prazo de validade. A ética médica se aplica a todos os contextos, incluindo o serviço militar”, afirmou o presidente, Dr. Mzulungile Nodikida.

Basson liderou o Project Coast, extinto em 1995. Ele foi absolvido em 2002 de 67 acusações pelo juiz Willie Hartzenberg, apesar de uma conclusão de má conduta feita pelo HPCSA em 2014, que ele contestou com sucesso posteriormente.

Artigos relacionados

Illustration of NPA prosecutors announcing charges in the Life Esidimeni tragedy case, with grieving families present, symbolizing long-awaited accountability.
Imagem gerada por IA

NPA to prosecute Life Esidimeni officials after nearly a decade

Reportado por IA Imagem gerada por IA

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has announced criminal prosecutions against individuals implicated in the Life Esidimeni tragedy, where at least 141 mental healthcare users died in 2015 and 2016. The patients had been transferred from licensed facilities to unregistered and ill-equipped NGOs. Families and activists hail the decision as a vital step toward accountability.

Reverend Frank Chikane told the Khampepe commission that authorities failed to pursue leads from plea agreements in apartheid-era cases. He highlighted the 2007 suspended sentences for those who plotted his poisoning and questioned why more was not done.

Reportado por IA

Geophrey Ledwaba, former head of operations at the Scorpions, testified at the Khampepe Commission of Inquiry that he did not halt investigations into Truth and Reconciliation Commission matters in 2003. He described his actions as a compliance with National Prosecution Authority policy to transfer cases to the Priority Crimes Litigation Unit. The testimony counters claims by victim families of political interference blocking justice.

A veteran advocate has told an inquiry that apartheid-era generals tried to halt investigations into past atrocities by threatening to expose senior ANC figures. The testimony came at the Khampepe Commission examining delays in Truth and Reconciliation Commission prosecutions.

Reportado por IA

Matipandile Sotheni, a former SAPS Special Task Force member, appeared in Brakpan Magistrate’s Court on charges including the murder of Madlanga Commission witness Marius van der Merwe, known as Witness D. The National Prosecuting Authority opposes bail due to the seriousness of the Schedule 6 offences. Experts express concern over organised crime syndicates recruiting highly trained officers.

North West businessman Brown Mogotsi was arrested shortly after finishing testimony at the Madlanga Commission in Pretoria on Friday. His lawyer confirmed the arrest followed proceedings where Mogotsi’s bid to recuse evidence leader Matthew Chaskalson was dismissed. Police said the arrest relates to defeating the ends of justice.

Reportado por IA

South Africa's National Police Commissioner Fannie Masemola made his first court appearance in Pretoria on April 21, 2026, facing four charges of contravening the Public Finance Management Act. The charges relate to a R360-million police tender allegedly irregularly awarded to Vusimuzi 'Cat' Matlala's company. The case was postponed to May 13.

 

 

 

Este site usa cookies

Usamos cookies para análise para melhorar nosso site. Leia nossa política de privacidade para mais informações.
Recusar