Un tribunal rechaza la petición de Basson de detener su audiencia disciplinaria

El Tribunal Superior de Gauteng del Norte desestimó la solicitud del Dr. Wouter Basson para la suspensión permanente de su audiencia disciplinaria ante el Consejo de Profesiones de la Salud de Sudáfrica (HPCSA). La jueza Irene de Vos declaró que los cargos son graves. Basson, exjefe del programa de guerra química y biológica de la era del apartheid, enfrenta cuatro cargos.

El cardiólogo de 75 años, Dr. Wouter Basson, quien dirige una próspera consulta privada en Ciudad del Cabo, enfrenta cargos del HPCSA relacionados con la producción a gran escala de sustancias como Mandrax, MDMA y gas lacrimógeno, la conversión de gas CR en armas para morteros utilizados en Angola, la fabricación de sustancias para sedar y secuestrar prisioneros de guerra en Namibia, y la distribución de cápsulas de cianuro a unidades especiales. La jueza Irene de Vos desestimó la solicitud de Basson la semana pasada, señalando que los cargos son graves e “inclinan la balanza en contra de conceder una suspensión permanente”. La Asociación Médica de Sudáfrica (Sama) exige su eliminación del registro. “La rendición de cuentas en la medicina no tiene fecha de caducidad. La ética médica se aplica en todos los contextos, incluido el servicio militar”, afirmó el presidente, el Dr. Mzulungile Nodikida. Basson dirigió el Project Coast, disuelto en 1995. Fue absuelto en 2002 de 67 cargos por el juez Willie Hartzenberg, a pesar de una resolución de mala conducta del HPCSA en 2014 que posteriormente impugnó con éxito.

Artículos relacionados

Illustration of NPA prosecutors announcing charges in the Life Esidimeni tragedy case, with grieving families present, symbolizing long-awaited accountability.
Imagen generada por IA

NPA to prosecute Life Esidimeni officials after nearly a decade

Reportado por IA Imagen generada por IA

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has announced criminal prosecutions against individuals implicated in the Life Esidimeni tragedy, where at least 141 mental healthcare users died in 2015 and 2016. The patients had been transferred from licensed facilities to unregistered and ill-equipped NGOs. Families and activists hail the decision as a vital step toward accountability.

Reverend Frank Chikane told the Khampepe commission that authorities failed to pursue leads from plea agreements in apartheid-era cases. He highlighted the 2007 suspended sentences for those who plotted his poisoning and questioned why more was not done.

Reportado por IA

Geophrey Ledwaba, former head of operations at the Scorpions, testified at the Khampepe Commission of Inquiry that he did not halt investigations into Truth and Reconciliation Commission matters in 2003. He described his actions as a compliance with National Prosecution Authority policy to transfer cases to the Priority Crimes Litigation Unit. The testimony counters claims by victim families of political interference blocking justice.

A veteran advocate has told an inquiry that apartheid-era generals tried to halt investigations into past atrocities by threatening to expose senior ANC figures. The testimony came at the Khampepe Commission examining delays in Truth and Reconciliation Commission prosecutions.

Reportado por IA

Matipandile Sotheni, a former SAPS Special Task Force member, appeared in Brakpan Magistrate’s Court on charges including the murder of Madlanga Commission witness Marius van der Merwe, known as Witness D. The National Prosecuting Authority opposes bail due to the seriousness of the Schedule 6 offences. Experts express concern over organised crime syndicates recruiting highly trained officers.

North West businessman Brown Mogotsi was arrested shortly after finishing testimony at the Madlanga Commission in Pretoria on Friday. His lawyer confirmed the arrest followed proceedings where Mogotsi’s bid to recuse evidence leader Matthew Chaskalson was dismissed. Police said the arrest relates to defeating the ends of justice.

Reportado por IA

South Africa's National Police Commissioner Fannie Masemola made his first court appearance in Pretoria on April 21, 2026, facing four charges of contravening the Public Finance Management Act. The charges relate to a R360-million police tender allegedly irregularly awarded to Vusimuzi 'Cat' Matlala's company. The case was postponed to May 13.

 

 

 

Este sitio web utiliza cookies

Utilizamos cookies para análisis con el fin de mejorar nuestro sitio. Lee nuestra política de privacidad para más información.
Rechazar