Haas boss cautions against knee-jerk reactions to Bearman-Colapinto incident

Haas Formula 1 team principal Ayao Komatsu has urged caution against hasty changes following the collision between Oliver Bearman and Franco Colapinto at the Japanese Grand Prix. The incident at Suzuka highlighted concerns over closing speeds under the 2026 regulations. Komatsu emphasized the need for thoughtful adjustments amid ongoing discussions.

At Suzuka, Bearman trailed Colapinto's Alpine by about one second through sector two. However, as Colapinto harvested energy at Spoon, a 45km/h speed differential emerged, forcing Bearman onto the grass. He spun into the barriers at 50G, intensifying scrutiny of the 2026 rules that encourage varied battery strategies and amplify closing speeds—a issue flagged since pre-season and incidents in Melbourne and Shanghai. Drivers have voiced safety worries: Colapinto called it 'really dangerous,' Carlos Sainz predicted it was 'only a matter of time,' and Lando Norris said drivers are at the 'mercy' of the power unit. Max Verstappen has pushed for major revisions due to the regulations' electrical energy focus. Komatsu, speaking to Sky Sports, warned: 'We cannot be making knee-jerk reaction changes and then a few races later be saying, 'that was the wrong option'.' He praised the collaborative effort among teams, FIA, and F1, expecting a solid fix. An energy recovery limit was already imposed for qualifying, allowing later lift-off into corners, and a meeting is set for April 9 with stakeholders. Komatsu told print media that minor tweaks could enhance safety and racing quality without wholesale overhauls.

Related Articles

Dramatic illustration of Haas driver Oliver Bearman's heavy 50G crash into Alpine's Franco Colapinto at Suzuka's Spoon corner in the Japanese Grand Prix.
Image generated by AI

Oliver Bearman crashes heavily at Japanese Grand Prix

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

Haas driver Oliver Bearman suffered a 50G impact during the Japanese Grand Prix after a high closing speed incident with Alpine's Franco Colapinto at Suzuka's Spoon corner. Bearman was diagnosed with a right knee contusion but no fractures. The crash has intensified concerns over Formula 1's 2026 energy management regulations.

In his first public comments since the heavy crash at last month's Japanese Grand Prix, Haas driver Oliver Bearman has blamed Franco Colapinto for not leaving enough space amid a 50km/h speed differential, calling the incident 'unacceptable' after drivers had discussed such risks in pre-race briefings.

Reported by AI

Franco Colapinto voiced frustration with Oliver Bearman's criticism over their Japanese GP incident, calling himself a 'sitting duck' and revealing an unanswered post-race message, though Bearman later clarified in Miami he holds no grudges.

Williams driver Carlos Sainz has reiterated concerns over Formula 1's 2026 regulations after the Shanghai Grand Prix, praising energy management at the Chinese track but calling for changes at high-speed circuits like Monza and Spa to improve racing.

Reported by AI

Following a troubled debut retirement in Australia due to power issues, Isack Hadjar finished 12th at the 2026 Japanese Grand Prix in a Red Bull car he called undriveable and dangerous, hampered by early battery failure and poor pace. A safety car from Oliver Bearman's heavy crash disrupted his strategy, as Kimi Antonelli took victory.

Lando Norris hailed recent F1 technical regulation changes as a step forward after winning the Miami sprint race, but noted drivers remain penalized for pushing harder in key areas. Ferrari's Charles Leclerc urged realistic expectations on further improvements. The tweaks, aimed at energy management issues, were first tested at the Miami Grand Prix.

Reported by AI

Max Verstappen has shared proposals with the FIA to address concerns over the new 2026 Formula 1 regulations following the Australian Grand Prix. Drivers have criticized the 'yo-yo racing' caused by energy management, which led to artificial overtakes and safety issues at the start. Verstappen hopes for changes to make racing more natural, while confirming he does not plan to leave the sport.

 

 

 

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline