Major airlines seek tweaks to unsustainable pilot rest rules

India's major airlines, carrying 95% of passengers, are urging the government to relax new pilot rest rules effective since November. The carriers argue the regulations are unsustainable in the long term. Discussions with the civil aviation ministry are ongoing.

New Delhi: Four of India's five major airlines, which carry 95% of passengers, have approached the government seeking relaxations in the flight duty time limitations (FDTL) rules that took effect on November 1 last year. These regulations were tightened following prolonged litigation by pilots advocating for stricter limits to enhance passenger safety.

An official said, “Airlines have approached the ministry to ask for certain relaxations in the newly mandated FDTL. Discussions are going on.” The issue was raised during a parliamentary standing committee meeting on December 17, shortly after IndiGo's operations collapsed between December 3 and 5, affecting 300,000 passengers. A government inquiry found the airline failed to address planning gaps despite two years of preparation.

IndiGo received an exemption from FDTL until February 10 but was fined ₹20.2 crore for it and another ₹1.8 crore for systemic lapses leading to the crisis. The new rules extend weekly rest from 36 to 48 continuous hours, including two full nights at the crew's home base. Night duty now spans midnight to 6am, limited to two consecutive shifts. Night landings are capped at two per week, down from six, and monthly flight time reduced from 125 to 100 hours over 28 days.

Another official noted, “The airlines have been firm that the second set of the new FDTL rules are not feasible for airlines in the longer run.” The government has yet to decide. IndiGo, Air India, Air India Express, Akasa, and SpiceJet declined to comment. An airline executive, speaking anonymously, said, “All airlines except SpiceJet and Alliance Air are in discussions... With fare caps, geopolitical tensions, and Pakistan airspace closure adding stress, additional pilots mean extra costs, so relaxations are needed for sector growth.”

Federation of Indian Pilots president C S Randhawa stated, “Safety cannot be compromised in any situation. If there is any untoward incident, pilots are the first ones to be blamed. The rest factor of a pilot needs to be taken as a priority. Where there is will, there is a way, so the airlines who were given time for two years, cannot give excuses now.”

Most airlines have adapted to the rules, barring IndiGo, which assured the DGCA of sufficient pilots and no cancellations post-February 10.

Related Articles

Indian aviation minister announces removal of domestic airfare caps at press conference, screen shows airplanes and date March 23, 2026.
Image generated by AI

Government removes caps on domestic airfares from March 23

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

The Ministry of Civil Aviation has withdrawn temporary caps on domestic airfares effective March 23, 2026. The measure ends restrictions imposed after IndiGo's crisis in December 2025. Airlines have been directed to ensure transparent and reasonable pricing.

The US-Israel-Iran war starting February 28, 2026, has caused over 37,000 flight cancellations in the Middle East through March 8, alongside airspace closures, nearly $1 billion in aviation losses, and oil prices up over 15%. Airlines including Qatar Airways, Emirates, and Etihad are resuming limited schedules, while Air India adds extra flights amid surging airfares and battered stocks.

Reported by AI

The Federal Aviation Administration has imposed a cap on daily flights at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport to prevent delays and cancellations caused by overscheduling from American Airlines and United Airlines. The move follows a turf war between the carriers over gate access, leading to schedules exceeding the airport's runway capacity. Airlines must now reduce operations to no more than 2,800 per day.

Airspace restrictions across the Middle East, ongoing since US and Israeli airstrikes on Iran began on February 28, 2026, continue to disrupt aviation. Following initial suspensions reported earlier this week, over 13,000 flights have now been canceled, stranding more than 20,000 passengers in the UAE alone. Gulf carriers like Emirates, Qatar Airways, and Etihad have extended halts, while launching limited relief flights from alternative hubs amid persistent safety concerns.

Reported by AI

Since US-Israeli strikes on Iran began on February 28, 2026, escalating into a regional air war, over 21,000 flights have been canceled across Gulf hubs including Dubai, Doha, and Abu Dhabi, stranding tens of thousands. Following initial limited resumptions on March 2, major airports stayed restricted into March 3-4, with airlines like Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways prioritizing repatriation amid government evacuation calls.

Airline companies operating at Ninoy Aquino International Airport appealed to the Department of Transportation for cuts in airport fees as fuel prices rise and flights to the Middle East remain suspended due to regional tensions. Manila International Airport Authority general manager Eric Ines confirmed requests for discounts on landing and parking fees as well as Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines navigation fees.

Reported by AI

South Korean low-cost carriers have cut around 900 round-trip international flights and rolled out unpaid leave programs amid soaring fuel prices triggered by Middle East instability.

 

 

 

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline