Hong Kong's premium taxi rollout reaches third of target

Only 1,300 premium taxis are in service in Hong Kong, well below the government's target of 3,500 since the fleets launched in July. Industry players blame unattractive earnings, a lack of charging facilities, and competition from ride-hailing services for the slow rollout. The Transport Department has not commented on revoking licenses for operators failing to meet minimum vehicle requirements by November.

Hong Kong's premium taxi initiative has progressed slowly since its launch. The latest official data shows just 1,300 premium taxis in service across five fleets, one-third of the government's 3,500 target. The Transport Department confirmed the figures on Wednesday but did not say whether it would revoke licenses of operators who failed to meet minimum vehicle requirements by November.

When the new fleets debuted in July, they started with about 1,000 premium taxis, already short of the initial target of 60 percent—or 2,100—of the 3,500 vehicles. About half of the taxis are electric, and some 1,400 drivers have joined the operators.

Industry players attribute the delays to several factors. Hong Kong Taxi Council chairman Chau Kwok-keung pointed to unattractive earnings as a key issue. Smart Mobility Chamber of Commerce chairman Ng Kwan-shing highlighted the lack of charging facilities and intensified competition from ride-hailing services. Among the fleets, Joie has about 500 taxis in service, falling short of its 800-vehicle target.

The scheme aims to improve taxi service quality, but reaching only a third of the goal underscores significant implementation challenges.

Relaterede artikler

Hong Kong lawmakers in session voicing concerns over Huanggang checkpoint parking shortage, with Secretary Tang presenting solutions.
Billede genereret af AI

Hong Kong lawmakers concerned over Huanggang checkpoint parking shortage

Rapporteret af AI Billede genereret af AI

Hong Kong lawmakers on Friday voiced concerns about the lack of parking at the upgraded Huanggang border crossing, deeming shuttle bus services inconvenient. Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung said authorities plan to build a nearby car park with shuttle buses to the checkpoint. Lawmakers called for an on-site public car park similar to the one at Heung Yuen Wai crossing.

The average number of aspiring Hong Kong taxi drivers taking a key industry test each month has risen nearly 30 per cent to around 1,800 following the launch of a simplified assessment last year, transport minister Mable Chan has said. She also announced that the government is expanding dedicated meeting spaces for the city's five premium taxi fleets at cultural and business landmarks.

Rapporteret af AI

Hong Kong taxi leaders and Uber have raised concerns over a planned quota for ride-hailing vehicles, even as authorities pledge to consult stakeholders before finalizing the number.

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) and Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) are studying a proposal to grant amnesty to transport network vehicle services (TNVS) drivers onboarded despite exceeding the vehicle cap. DOTr Secretary Giovanni Lopez said some transport network companies (TNCs) have surpassed their driver and vehicle limits. Ride-hailing platforms including Joyride and Grab have also reduced their commission rates.

Rapporteret af AI

Buenos Aires city government chief Jorge Macri unveiled a package of measures to modernize private passenger transport. The changes aim to boost safety, cut red tape for taxi drivers and set clear rules for drivers on platforms such as Uber, Cabify and DiDi.

Dette websted bruger cookies

Vi bruger cookies til analyse for at forbedre vores side. Læs vores privatlivspolitik for mere information.
Afvis