Hong Kong's premium taxi rollout reaches third of target

Only 1,300 premium taxis are in service in Hong Kong, well below the government's target of 3,500 since the fleets launched in July. Industry players blame unattractive earnings, a lack of charging facilities, and competition from ride-hailing services for the slow rollout. The Transport Department has not commented on revoking licenses for operators failing to meet minimum vehicle requirements by November.

Hong Kong's premium taxi initiative has progressed slowly since its launch. The latest official data shows just 1,300 premium taxis in service across five fleets, one-third of the government's 3,500 target. The Transport Department confirmed the figures on Wednesday but did not say whether it would revoke licenses of operators who failed to meet minimum vehicle requirements by November.

When the new fleets debuted in July, they started with about 1,000 premium taxis, already short of the initial target of 60 percent—or 2,100—of the 3,500 vehicles. About half of the taxis are electric, and some 1,400 drivers have joined the operators.

Industry players attribute the delays to several factors. Hong Kong Taxi Council chairman Chau Kwok-keung pointed to unattractive earnings as a key issue. Smart Mobility Chamber of Commerce chairman Ng Kwan-shing highlighted the lack of charging facilities and intensified competition from ride-hailing services. Among the fleets, Joie has about 500 taxis in service, falling short of its 800-vehicle target.

The scheme aims to improve taxi service quality, but reaching only a third of the goal underscores significant implementation challenges.

Articles connexes

Hong Kong lawmakers in session voicing concerns over Huanggang checkpoint parking shortage, with Secretary Tang presenting solutions.
Image générée par IA

Hong Kong lawmakers concerned over Huanggang checkpoint parking shortage

Rapporté par l'IA Image générée par IA

Hong Kong lawmakers on Friday voiced concerns about the lack of parking at the upgraded Huanggang border crossing, deeming shuttle bus services inconvenient. Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung said authorities plan to build a nearby car park with shuttle buses to the checkpoint. Lawmakers called for an on-site public car park similar to the one at Heung Yuen Wai crossing.

The average number of aspiring Hong Kong taxi drivers taking a key industry test each month has risen nearly 30 per cent to around 1,800 following the launch of a simplified assessment last year, transport minister Mable Chan has said. She also announced that the government is expanding dedicated meeting spaces for the city's five premium taxi fleets at cultural and business landmarks.

Rapporté par l'IA

Hong Kong taxi leaders and Uber have raised concerns over a planned quota for ride-hailing vehicles, even as authorities pledge to consult stakeholders before finalizing the number.

Le ministère des Transports (DOTr) et le Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) étudient une proposition visant à accorder l'amnistie aux chauffeurs de services de transport via des plateformes (TNVS) recrutés malgré le dépassement du plafond de véhicules autorisé. Le secrétaire du DOTr, Giovanni Lopez, a déclaré que certaines sociétés de transport via des plateformes (TNC) ont dépassé leurs limites de chauffeurs et de véhicules. Des plateformes de réservation de voitures comme Joyride et Grab ont également réduit leurs taux de commission.

Rapporté par l'IA

Le chef du gouvernement de la ville de Buenos Aires, Jorge Macri, a dévoilé un ensemble de mesures visant à moderniser le transport privé de passagers. Ces changements ont pour but de renforcer la sécurité, de réduire la bureaucratie pour les chauffeurs de taxi et d'établir des règles claires pour les conducteurs travaillant sur des plateformes telles qu'Uber, Cabify et DiDi.

Ce site utilise des cookies

Nous utilisons des cookies pour l'analyse afin d'améliorer notre site. Lisez notre politique de confidentialité pour plus d'informations.
Refuser