EDSA rehabilitation to start on December 24

The long-delayed rehabilitation of EDSA will begin on Christmas Eve, December 24, after being stalled earlier this year. Public Works Secretary Vince Dizon said the project will be completed in eight months, significantly shorter than the previous two-year timeline. Reblocking works and asphalt overlay on the busway lanes will be carried out round the clock during the holiday break.

Public Works Secretary Vince Dizon announced that the EDSA rehabilitation will start on December 24, a Wednesday, and be completed within eight months. This is shorter than the original two-year plan. Reblocking works and asphalt overlay on the busway lanes will be conducted round the clock from 11 p.m. on December 24 until 4 a.m. on January 5, 2026, during the holiday period when traffic is expected to be lighter, according to Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Don Artes.

After January 5, road works will continue nightly from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. The total project cost is P6 billion, lower than the previous P17 billion estimate. The Department of Public Works and Highways will use a new stone mastic asphalt technology, which provides stronger resistance to elements and heavy loads, improved skid resistance, better protection against water and moisture damage, and a longer maintenance life.

There will be no changes to the existing number coding scheme, although the MMDA had proposed an odd-even scheme to manage potential congestion. The project was originally set to begin on June 13, but President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. ordered its postponement days before the launch, stating that a better plan was needed to shorten the timeline to six months to a year. EDSA, notorious for heavy traffic in Metro Manila, stands to benefit from these improvements to enhance road quality.

Verwandte Artikel

Crowd commemorating 40th EDSA People Power Revolution anniversary with protests against corruption, veterans and senators speaking.
Bild generiert von KI

People power at 40th anniversary: Revolution remains unfinished

Von KI berichtet Bild generiert von KI

On the 40th anniversary of the EDSA People Power Revolution, protests and commemorations marked the day, as veterans and senators warned about the importance of history and the ongoing fight against corruption.

The Department of Public Works and Highways has reduced the EDSA rehabilitation project's budget to P5.8 billion from an original P17 billion, Public Works Secretary Vince Dizon said. The first phase finished early, with bidding for phase two underway this month. The revised plan aims to minimize traffic disruption in Metro Manila.

Von KI berichtet

MANILA — Amid continued oil price hikes, traffic volume on EDSA fell by eight percent, the Metro Manila Development Authority said yesterday. The agency also exempted oil tankers and vehicles delivering basic commodities from truck bans and number coding schemes.

Kenya's Transport Ministry has provided a fresh update on three major expressway projects spanning over 700 km. Acting Secretary for Roads Gilbert Arasa briefed Chief of Staff Felix Koskei during a high-level meeting. The initiatives aim to ease congestion and boost economic growth.

Von KI berichtet

Civil society groups, church leaders, and government officials launched 'Bisto Proyekto: Ang Bagong People Power' on February 21 in Manila, turning citizen vigilance into a tool for accountability in infrastructure projects. Led by the anti-corruption group TAPAT, it includes a memorandum of agreement with the Department of Public Works and Highways for nationwide monitoring. The initiative aims to combat corruption through a digital platform and satellite monitoring.

Diese Website verwendet Cookies

Wir verwenden Cookies für Analysen, um unsere Website zu verbessern. Lesen Sie unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie für weitere Informationen.
Ablehnen