Hong Kong receives over 100 drone project proposals for low-altitude economy

Hong Kong's transport chief Mable Chan said more than 100 submissions for drone projects in the low-altitude economy have been received, with some pilot projects set to launch in the first half of this year. The move aligns with Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu's 2024 policy address establishing a government working group to foster low-altitude flying activities.

In a blog post on the Transport and Logistics Bureau’s website on Saturday, transport chief Mable Chan said “the industry responded enthusiastically” to the government’s calls, with more than 100 submissions received by the end of last month, when applications closed. The low-altitude economy is an emerging sector focused on activities such as drone use in airspace below 1km (3,280 feet). “The [government] working group is reviewing the applications in detail, with the goal of launching pilot projects progressively in the first half of this year,” Chan said. In line with the nation’s development of a low-altitude economy, Hong Kong leader John Lee Ka-chiu announced in his policy address in 2024 that a government working group would be set up to foster and facilitate the testing of potential application scenarios for low-altitude flying activities. Promoting “regulatory sandbox” pilot projects was among its major tasks. Keywords listed in the sources include Cyberport, Hong Kong International Aviation Academy, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, St John Hospital, Hong Kong Productivity Council, Pok Fu Lam, Civil Aviation Department, Transport and Logistics Bureau, and Vocational Training Council, which may be involved, though the article does not detail specific submissions.

Verwandte Artikel

Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan presents the 2026 budget at the Legislative Council, highlighting AI and infrastructure investments amid fiscal surplus charts and public criticism over no cash handouts.
Bild generiert von KI

Hong Kong budget stresses long-term investments amid public criticism

Von KI berichtet Bild generiert von KI

Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan unveiled the 2026 budget on Wednesday, emphasizing investments in artificial intelligence and infrastructure while facing criticism for the absence of direct cash handouts to residents. The budget projects a surplus and includes a rare transfer from the Exchange Fund.

Sources indicate that Hong Kong's budget will allocate huge funds to advance innovation in the Northern Metropolis and offer incentives for the aerospace sector. Officials plan tripartite cooperation between developers and tech firms to drive progress. The measures aim to boost research and development and attract companies.

Von KI berichtet

Hong Kong's Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan told lawmakers on Monday that the government plans to table a bill by year-end to standardise regulation of future mass transit projects, including Kai Tak and East Kowloon. The framework would use open tenders to enhance service quality and empower the Executive Council to grant franchises while penalising non-compliant operators. Lawmakers have raised concerns over fares and long-term service quality.

Hong Kong's Secretary for Development Bernadette Linn Hon-ho said dedicated laws for the Northern Metropolis may speed up some projects by about one year. She revealed the government is preparing to increase the residential component of some sites to appeal to developers. The government unveiled a plan for six subsidiary laws earlier this month to remove bottlenecks in the massive scheme.

Von KI berichtet

Hong Kong’s leader has pledged to align the city with national strategies in China’s latest five-year plan and turn Beijing’s assigned “new positionings, functions and missions” into tangible outcomes to drive economic growth. Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu said he would lead the government in uniting society to proactively align with the 15th five-year plan, which sets China’s economic and social development targets for 2026 to 2030. His comments followed the approval of the plan’s outline by China’s top legislature.

Hong Kong authorities have launched an AI-driven flood forecasting and alert system capable of 3D simulations to enable timelier pre-emptive measures and emergency responses. It helps plan faster responses and preventive actions in high-risk areas. The technology adds to the territory-wide flood risk visualisation system deployed after last year's Super Typhoon Ragasa.

Von KI berichtet

Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po will deliver the 2026-27 budget on Wednesday, unveiling measures to accelerate economic recovery. The budget features a purple cover symbolizing strengthening economic momentum amid a volatile external environment. It arrives against heightened geopolitical tensions, including a new 15 per cent global tariff announced by US President Donald Trump, with expectations for sweeteners tempered by economists' warnings on public finances.

Diese Website verwendet Cookies

Wir verwenden Cookies für Analysen, um unsere Website zu verbessern. Lesen Sie unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie für weitere Informationen.
Ablehnen