Mbadi ordered to explain transfer of energy parastatals

The energy committee has halted budget hearings and directed Finance Minister John Mbadi to clarify the transfer of KenGen, Kenya Power, Ketraco and GDC to the National Infrastructure Fund.

Members of the Energy Committee, chaired by David Gikaria, said the transfer was done without approval and has cut the Ministry of Energy budget from Sh78.3 billion to Sh31.52 billion.

Energy Permanent Secretary Alex Wachira said the move risks donor-funded projects and asked for the budget to be restored. Lawmakers warned that the step violates the law and could lead to staff cuts.

The transfer was referenced in the Budget Policy Statement approved in March 2026. The committee suspended its session until Mbadi and other officials provide further explanations.

Artículos relacionados

Kenyan energy officials resigning after arrests in Ksh4 billion fuel scandal, with symbolic elements of corruption and fuel infrastructure.
Imagen generada por IA

Energy bosses resign after arrests in Ksh4 billion fuel scandal

Reportado por IA Imagen generada por IA

Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority Director General Daniel Kiptoo, Kenya Pipeline Company Managing Director Joe Sang, and Petroleum Principal Secretary Mohamed Liban have resigned after arrests linked to a Ksh4 billion fuel scandal. Officials allegedly manipulated stock data to enable irregular procurement outside the government-to-government agreement. President William Ruto's office called the deal a blatant breach involving substandard fuel.

Kenya's Senate has summoned Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi and Meru Governor Isaac Mutuma after the National Treasury halted fund transfers to the county. The measure, effective from April 10, enforces payment of a court-awarded debt to a foreign investor but sparks fears of salary delays and service disruptions. Lawmakers question the decision's proportionality.

Reportado por IA

Energy and Petroleum Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi has assured Kenyans that the threat of substandard fuel from the ongoing Ksh4 billion procurement scandal has been contained, with supplies secure. This follows the arrests and resignations of four senior officials last week and the halting of a second suspicious shipment. EPRA has appointed Joseph Oketch as acting Director General.

Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi has confirmed there will be no exemptions for the electronic Government Procurement (eGP) system from the next financial year starting July. He stated this during an interview on the evening of Sunday, April 12, reiterating the government's intent to close procurement loopholes draining public resources. The eGP system was introduced to digitize public procurement, enhance transparency, and curb corruption in government spending.

Reportado por IA

Energy and Petroleum Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi has announced plans to establish long-term fuel reserves to shield Kenya from supply shocks. He made the remarks after appearing before a parliamentary committee on Monday, April 13, 2026. The country currently lacks formal reserves and depends on continuous imports.

A secret agreement between governors and senators has ended weeks of tension threatening county operations. Governors agreed to attend Senate committee meetings, while senators pledged to address corruption claims. Intense talks in the Senate led to the deal.

Reportado por IA

Several Kenyan Cabinet Secretaries have announced new appointments and re-appointments to various state agencies and boards, affecting sectors such as defence, sports, agriculture, trade, education, and energy. These changes, published in official gazettes, come nearly a year before the next general elections. The moves include re-appointments to advisory committees and boards, as well as new roles in local governance.

 

 

 

Este sitio web utiliza cookies

Utilizamos cookies para análisis con el fin de mejorar nuestro sitio. Lee nuestra política de privacidad para más información.
Rechazar