CS Wandayi halts payments in Ksh4.8 billion unauthorised fuel import

Energy and Petroleum Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi has ordered the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) to exclude a 60,000-metric-tonne consignment of super petrol from monthly cost computations, as it was imported outside the government-to-government (G-to-G) framework. He directed a freeze on all related payments and instructed One Petroleum Ltd to withdraw its invoices. The move aims to protect the fuel supply chain and prevent price hikes.

Energy and Petroleum Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi issued a statement on Tuesday, April 7, 2026, stating that a 60,000-metric-tonne consignment of super petrol was imported in contravention of G-to-G procedures. The shipment cost Ksh198,000 per metric tonne, compared to Ksh140,000 under the government arrangement, with a Ksh58,000 difference per tonne that could raise pump prices by up to Ksh14 per litre.

"The 60,000-metric-tonne consignment of super petrol was recently imported into the country in contravention of the procedures set out under the G-to-G contractual framework with international suppliers," Wandayi said. "This action posed a risk to the integrity of a system that has consistently safeguarded supply security and pricing stability."

In response, he directed EPRA to exclude the consignment from monthly petroleum cost computations and freeze all related payments pending investigations. One Petroleum Ltd must withdraw all issued invoices and issue credit notes, while oil marketing companies are warned against paying or lifting the product.

The developments follow warnings from fuel dealers that petrol prices could reach Ksh231.68 per litre in Nairobi by the next EPRA pricing cycle on April 14, 2026, up from the current Ksh178.28.

Artículos relacionados

Energy CS Opiyo Wandayi assures Kenyans of secure fuel supplies after containing Ksh4B substandard fuel scandal.
Imagen generada por IA

Energy CS Wandayi: Substandard fuel threat contained after Ksh4B scandal

Reportado por IA Imagen generada por IA

Energy and Petroleum Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi has assured Kenyans that the threat of substandard fuel from the ongoing Ksh4 billion procurement scandal has been contained, with supplies secure. This follows the arrests and resignations of four senior officials last week and the halting of a second suspicious shipment. EPRA has appointed Joseph Oketch as acting Director General.

Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi has claimed President William Ruto directed EPRA to keep kerosene prices unchanged despite petrol and diesel hikes. The move aims to protect low-income households. The government also introduced a Ksh6.2 billion fuel subsidy and cut VAT on fuel.

Reportado por IA

The Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) has announced new fuel prices for the April-May 2026 cycle, with super petrol rising by Ksh28.69 per litre to Ksh206.97 in Nairobi. Diesel increased by Ksh40.30 to Ksh206.84 per litre, while kerosene remains unchanged at Ksh152.78. The hikes stem from sharp rises in landed costs combined with taxes and margins.

The Kenya Pipeline Company has assured the public of sufficient fuel stocks at all its terminals to meet national demand, despite reports of shortages in at least 13 counties. The Kenya Transporters Association warns of a looming logistics crisis due to rationing and withdrawn credit facilities. Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi has been summoned to parliament over a related fuel scandal.

Reportado por IA

Energy and Petroleum Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi has announced plans to establish long-term fuel reserves to shield Kenya from supply shocks. He made the remarks after appearing before a parliamentary committee on Monday, April 13, 2026. The country currently lacks formal reserves and depends on continuous imports.

Kenya Pipeline Company manager Pius Mwenda said the firm allowed fuel with high Sulphur levels following Minister Lee Kinyanjui's directive. This occurred on March 27, 2026, and was confirmed yesterday before the Energy Committee. The fuel was blended with other stocks to reduce risks.

Reportado por IA

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja said the government aims to reach an agreement with public transport operators by Friday to address protests over high fuel prices. Talks follow a one-week suspension of strikes by matatu operators and other transporters.

 

 

 

Este sitio web utiliza cookies

Utilizamos cookies para análisis con el fin de mejorar nuestro sitio. Lee nuestra política de privacidad para más información.
Rechazar