Suspected wartime mortar round detonated safely at Hong Kong site

Bomb disposal officers safely detonated a suspected wartime mortar round found at a Hong Kong construction site in Kwu Tung North on Tuesday morning, with no evacuations required.

Workers at a construction site in Kwu Tung North, Hong Kong, discovered a suspicious object at 9.32am on Tuesday. A source familiar with the matter confirmed to the South China Morning Post that it was an unexploded wartime mortar round, measuring 15cm long and 10cm wide. “Since the mortar round was inside the construction site, officers on site confirmed that the surrounding area was safe, with no need for an evacuation,” the source said. Police and Fire Services Department officers arrived to cordon off a 50-metre (164 feet) radius around the site. Officers from the force’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal Bureau decided to detonate it at 11.37am and began the task ten minutes later. The bureau said it did not deploy robots in the operation. The detonation was completed safely with no reported injuries or damage. Kwu Tung North is in Hong Kong's North District, near Lok Ma Chau. Such wartime unexploded ordnance occasionally surfaces in the city.

Mga Kaugnay na Artikulo

Residents evacuating Kiel neighborhood due to discovery of a 250kg WWII bomb during construction, ahead of controlled defusal.
Larawang ginawa ng AI

Over 5,000 people affected by bomb discovery in Kiel

Iniulat ng AI Larawang ginawa ng AI

A 250-kilogram Second World War aerial bomb was discovered during construction work in Kiel's Suchsdorf district. It is scheduled for defusal on Sunday, March 15, 2026, requiring the evacuation of about 4,745 residents in Kiel and 701 in neighboring Kronshagen. Police advise preparing for several hours away from home.

Construction workers in Nuremberg's Lichtenreuth district discovered a 250-kilogram WWII bomb. About 370 people were evacuated before the device was safely defused that evening. A city spokesperson confirmed there were no incidents.

Iniulat ng AI

A World War II bomb at Duisburg's main railway station has been safely detonated, lifting the station's closure. The bomb, a 500 kg American device, was found during construction work. Approximately 6,600 residents and travelers were affected by the evacuation.

A 58-year-old motorcyclist died after losing control of his vehicle and overturning inside Hong Kong's Eastern Harbour Crossing early Thursday, police said.

Iniulat ng AI

Six men were injured in an explosion on a vessel moored at Stonecutters Island in Hong Kong on Monday morning. The incident occurred at about 10.35am, according to police, with all injured taken to Princess Margaret Hospital. Sources suggested the vessel's engine may have triggered the blast.

New York City police locked down part of Manhattan's Upper East Side on Sunday after discovering a suspicious device in a vehicle linked to an improvised explosive device thrown during Saturday's protests near Gracie Mansion. The incident involved clashes between opposing demonstrations, with two suspects arrested for deploying the explosives. Authorities, including the FBI, are probing potential terrorism ties.

Iniulat ng AI

A Hong Kong construction worker has been remanded in custody after pleading guilty to two counts of sedition. Raymond Wong Chan-fai, 55, admitted to tossing 59 pieces of paper bearing offensive messages from his flat in 2024 and last year. He faces sentencing next month.

 

 

 

Gumagamit ng cookies ang website na ito

Gumagamit kami ng cookies para sa analytics upang mapabuti ang aming site. Basahin ang aming patakaran sa privacy para sa higit pang impormasyon.
Tanggihan