Government warns contractors on Galana Kulalu irrigation project

Kenya's government has warned contractors on the Galana Kulalu irrigation project against delays, threatening consequences for those who miss deadlines. Acting head of the Government Delivery Unit, Olando Sitati, issued the warning during a site inspection. Coastal Regional Commissioner Rhoda Onyancha said the project's electrification should be complete by September.

During the inspection of the Galana Kulalu irrigation project, Olando Sitati noted that key sections, including electrification of the Ksh2.9 billion project, remain incomplete despite allocated resources. "There will be no further negotiations to extend contracts if they fail to deliver on time," Sitati said.

Coastal Regional Commissioner Rhoda Onyancha stated the contractor must finish electrification by September. "We have looked at all the factors that are making the project from taking off soon, and we have agreed on what all those involved should do. By September, we should be fully lit," Onyancha said.

Sitati disclosed plans to expand the project after a contractor completes a dam. "We already have a contractor for the construction of the dam, and within the course of the year, once the dam is complete, we will expand the project by 20,000 acres to support agriculture in this county," he said.

The Galana Kulalu project spans 2.9 million acres in Kenya's coastal region across Kilifi and Tana River counties, aimed at boosting food security through maize and soybean production. Last year, Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe announced plans to designate it a Special Economic Zone to attract investors.

関連記事

Deputy PM Temesgen Tiruneh cuts ribbon at Tendaho irrigation project inauguration with regional leaders, surrounded by green fields in Afar desert.
AIによって生成された画像

Deputy PM Temesgen Tiruneh inaugurates rehabilitated Tendaho irrigation project

AIによるレポート AIによって生成された画像

Deputy Prime Minister Temesgen Tiruneh has inaugurated the rehabilitated and expanded Tendaho irrigation development project in Dubti woreda, Afar Region. Afar Region President Awel Arba and Water and Environment Minister Dr. Abraham Belay attended the event. The project has a capacity for 60,000 hectares, with 33,000 hectares now ready for irrigation.

Following last month's announcement of construction starting in March, the National Land Commission (NLC) has detailed fair compensation plans for over 3,500 landowners affected by the Naivasha-Kisumu-Malaba Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) phases 2B and 2C. NLC CEO Kabale Tache Arero highlighted the economic empowerment benefits, with public forums engaging stakeholders.

AIによるレポート

The Kenyan government plans to construct a Ksh375 billion gas-powered electricity plant at Dongo Kundu in Mombasa to boost national power supply. The project will rely on imported liquefied natural gas and support the Vision 2030 goal of clean energy production. Energy experts note the urgent need for more capacity amid economic growth and demands from large projects like data centres.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has halted construction of a planned multi-agency security facility along the Moyale-Marsabit-Isiolo road corridor following disputes over land ownership between Wajir and Marsabit counties. The decision came after a meeting with leaders from both counties on Friday, May 15. Clashes the previous day left several people injured.

AIによるレポート

President William Ruto announced plans for a World Bank-funded Class B road linking Narok and Nakuru counties during a church service in Kilgoris. He vowed action against officials implicated in a Ksh4 billion substandard fuel scandal. The remarks came during the April 5 service in Narok County.

Kenya's Transport Ministry has provided a fresh update on three major expressway projects spanning over 700 km. Acting Secretary for Roads Gilbert Arasa briefed Chief of Staff Felix Koskei during a high-level meeting. The initiatives aim to ease congestion and boost economic growth.

AIによるレポート

The Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) has set 2027 as the target for completing the 570MW Alaoji power plant. This follows delays in the power sector caused by challenges in clearing imported equipment at Nigerian ports. Officials indicate this project will help boost electricity supply in Nigeria.

 

 

 

このウェブサイトはCookieを使用します

サイトを改善するための分析にCookieを使用します。詳細については、プライバシーポリシーをお読みください。
拒否