South Africa assesses low risk from new Ebola outbreak

The World Health Organization has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. South African health officials say the risk of spread to the country remains low but stress the need for continued vigilance.

The declaration came on 16 May after the Bundibugyo virus strain was confirmed in Ituri province in the DRC. Health workers there reported an unusual cluster of severe illnesses and deaths. So far the outbreak has produced 10 confirmed cases, 390 suspected cases and at least 100 suspected deaths. One death has been confirmed in Uganda.

The National Institute for Communicable Diseases assessed the risk to South Africa as low. Principal medical scientist Dr Jacqueline Weyer said continued monitoring is required. President Cyril Ramaphosa called for stronger surveillance and cross-border collaboration.

Professor Salim Abdool Karim warned that the new strain is hard to diagnose and urged swift readiness. “As soon as we identify a case, we’ve got to ensure we limit the number of contacts,” he said. South Africa has recorded only two Ebola cases in its history, both in 1996.

관련 기사

Rural Brazilian countryside scene with a farmer and health worker highlighting the hantavirus threat.
AI에 의해 생성된 이미지

Hantavirus kills nearly half of those infected in Brazil

AI에 의해 보고됨 AI에 의해 생성된 이미지

Brazil recorded seven cases of hantavirus infection in 2026 through April, with one death. The disease, endemic in rural areas, maintains a fatality rate of around 40%.

The World Health Organization has declared a public health emergency over an outbreak of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda. The move comes as researchers urge faster development of vaccines for lesser-known Ebola strains.

AI에 의해 보고됨

The World Health Organisation has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. Kenya has responded by activating its emergency preparedness measures. The Bundibugyo strain has caused 80 deaths so far.

Disaster management teams in parts of KwaZulu-Natal are on high alert following an escalation of weather warnings by the South African Weather Service. Orange Level 6 warnings now apply to Ugu, Zululand, King Cetshwayo and Umkhanyakude districts, indicating a high chance of significant damage. A cold front and cut-off low are expected to bring heavy rain and damaging winds.

AI에 의해 보고됨

The World Health Organization stated that the hantavirus outbreak on the MV Hondius cruise ship poses no elevated global risk. Director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday there are no similarities to the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. Three people have died and eight suspected cases are under investigation on board.

A Western Cape resident who showed flu-like symptoms after possible exposure to a hantavirus patient has tested negative. South African health authorities are monitoring 97 close contacts following an outbreak on the cruise ship MV Hondius.

AI에 의해 보고됨

서울 남쪽 화성시의 한 양돈장에서 목요일 아프리카돼지열병(ASF) 사례가 보고되었으며, 이는 이번 시즌 국내 16번째 사례다. 당국은 역학조사와 현장 출입 통제를 실시하고 해당 농장의 모든 돼지를 도살할 예정이다. 또한, 시내 87개 양돈장에 대한 예방 조치를 강화한다.

이 웹사이트는 쿠키를 사용합니다

사이트를 개선하기 위해 분석을 위한 쿠키를 사용합니다. 자세한 내용은 개인정보 보호 정책을 읽으세요.
거부