Labor board recognizes employer status of principal contractors for first time

South Korea's Chungnam National Labor Relations Commission recognized the 'employer status' of principal contractors for the first time since a new labor law took effect. The ruling stems from disputes over posting negotiation requests from subcontractor unions. The Yellow Envelope Act expands the employer definition to firms substantially controlling working conditions.

The Chungnam National Labor Relations Commission on April 2 reviewed cases involving the Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety, the Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, the Korea Asset Management Corp., and the Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science. These principal contractors had not posted notices of negotiation requests from subcontractor unions for seven days after receiving them, as required by the new law. The contractors argued that the unions failed to outline specific agenda items or working conditions needed to determine employer status.

The unions brought the cases to the commission, which recognized the contractors' employer status in its first such ruling since the law's enforcement. The decision requires the contractors to post the notices. According to Yonhap News Agency, the board planned to notify the parties that evening, though proceedings could be postponed.

The Yellow Envelope Act, effective last month, aims to broaden workers' bargaining rights by holding prime contractors accountable for subcontracted labor they substantially control. As of March 30, 267 labor negotiation cases had been submitted to relations boards nationwide, Rep. Cho Ji-yeon of the main opposition People Power Party said. Further disputes from the law are expected to continue.

Relaterte artikler

Lee Jae-myung at podium warning of excessive union demands harming workers amid Samsung strike threat and AI changes.
Bilde generert av AI

President Lee warns excessive union demands could harm other workers

Rapportert av AI Bilde generert av AI

President Lee Jae Myung warned on April 30 that excessive labor union demands could harm unions and other workers, urging responsibility. The remarks came amid threats of an 18-day strike by a major Samsung Electronics union starting May 21. He stressed coexistence amid AI-driven changes.

On March 10, 2026, the first day the so-called yellow envelope law took effect, unionized subcontracted workers targeted major firms like POSCO, Hyundai Mobis and Hanwha Ocean, demanding negotiations over wages and working conditions. Unions threatened strikes if talks are refused, while companies expressed caution within legal bounds.

Rapportert av AI

President Lee Jae Myung met Friday with Korean Confederation of Trade Unions (KCTU) President Yang Kyung-soo and other leaders at Cheong Wa Dae to exchange views on protecting workers' rights. Lee highlighted pitfalls in a law requiring employers to convert non-regular workers to permanent status after two years. Yang gave a positive assessment of some administration labor policies while demanding a sharp minimum wage increase.

Industry Minister Kim Jung-kwan said specific investment projects in the United States can be discussed after a new law takes effect on June 18. The move aligns with last year's trade agreement committing South Korea to invest $350 billion in the US.

Rapportert av AI

The U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) has initiated Section 301 investigations into South Korea and 59 other economies for failing to adequately ban imports of goods produced with forced labor. This move comes as the Donald Trump administration seeks to introduce new tariffs to replace country-specific emergency tariffs struck down by the Supreme Court last month. South Korea's government plans to engage in close consultations with the U.S. to safeguard national interests.

South Korea's National Assembly passed a special law to manage $350 billion in investments in the United States. The bipartisan vote resolved delays that prompted U.S. President Donald Trump to threaten higher tariffs. The legislation establishes a new corporation to oversee the projects.

Rapportert av AI

Brazil's Health Ministry signed a conciliation agreement on Thursday (9) with the Labor Public Prosecutor's Office and the Attorney General's Office, ending a 2007 civil public action on hiring in indigenous territories. The 18,500 workers, nearly 70% indigenous, are now hired directly by the Brazilian Agency for SUS Management Support under the CLT regime. Another 1,018 are in the hiring process under the new model.

 

 

 

Dette nettstedet bruker informasjonskapsler

Vi bruker informasjonskapsler for analyse for å forbedre nettstedet vårt. Les vår personvernerklæring for mer informasjon.
Avvis