Hong Kong coffee festival faces backlash over bad weather response

Muddy grounds and rain caused chaos at the 2026 Coffee Hong Kong @WestK festival in Hong Kong’s West Kowloon Cultural District over Easter weekend, prompting backlash against the organiser's response. The arts hub’s authority urged timely measures for vendors. Return Coffee owner Cheng reported ankle-deep flooding and potential HK$20,000 losses.

Mud and rainy weather caused chaos and frustration at the high-profile open-air 2026 Coffee Hong Kong @WestK festival held over Easter weekend at the Great Lawn of Art Park in Hong Kong’s West Kowloon Cultural District.

Visitors were seen wearing shoe covers to navigate the muddy lawn during the four-day event. Coffee Hong Kong, the organiser, said it had deployed water suction machines to ease the situation, while the arts hub’s managing authority urged it to take timely and appropriate measures to respond to vendors.

Cheng, owner of Return Coffee who gave only her last name, said her stall flooded due to its low-lying location, with water reaching her ankles. She estimated losses close to HK$20,000 (US$2,550) as some coffee beans became damp and now require inspection before repackaging for sale.

“Services [by the organiser] were actually very good last year. This year, the organiser was a bit unprepared … they could’ve done better,” Cheng said.

Artigos relacionados

Hong Kong residents navigate fire-damaged ruins of Wang Fuk Court to retrieve cherished family items before farewell.
Imagem gerada por IA

Wang Fuk Court residents climb ruins to retrieve family treasures, bid farewell

Reportado por IA Imagem gerada por IA

Residents of Hong Kong's Wang Fuk Court have returned to the fire-ravaged ruins in recent days, climbing stairs to retrieve jewellery, cash, photo albums and keepsakes before bidding farewell to their homes. The fire services chief acknowledged at a hearing that departments need better communication while insisting on clear divisions of responsibility. The blaze killed 168 people.

Hong Kong’s East Dam welcomed about 1,400 visitors daily over the first four days of the Easter break despite adverse weather, conservation authorities said. The Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department recorded 18 enforcement actions for littering and illegal camping at Sai Kung East Country Park. Authorities vowed to explore long-term management strategies for popular sites.

Reportado por IA

Thousands of Hongkongers braved heavy rains to observe Ching Ming Festival by sweeping tombs, with Wang Fuk Court survivors returning to the fire site to mourn victims. The outing occurred under thundery showers, prompting the Observatory to issue an amber rainstorm warning at 2.05pm. The blaze at the Tai Po estate on November 26 killed 168 people and displaced 5,000 others.

Hong Kong's traditional 'upstairs' outlets are shifting to street-level spaces amid falling rents and weak demand. Hing Kee Java Edible Bird’s Nest (HK JEBN) will open another ground-floor outlet in Tsim Sha Tsui next week as part of this trend.

Reportado por IA

Melbourne's coffee scene continues to evolve with the opening of seven new cafes and shops in early 2026, offering innovative roasts, specialty drinks and house-made pastries. From electric roasting in Brunswick East to Chinese-inspired brews in the CBD, these spots highlight sustainability and creativity in the city's caffeine culture.

The ongoing conflict in the Middle East has not directly driven up coffee prices, which remain stable amid predictions of record harvests. However, spikes in oil prices are increasing freight, energy, and fertiliser costs, posing indirect risks to the coffee industry. Escalating tensions between the US, Israel, and Iran have led to the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, disrupting global supply chains.

Reportado por IA

Residents of Hong Kong's Wang Fuk Court returned on Saturday to their fire-ravaged flats to retrieve belongings one last time, amid tearful scenes. Ian Chu cherished the chance to capture a final photo of Tolo Harbour from his flat. The blaze killed 168 people, including 81 in Wang Cheong House.

 

 

 

Este site usa cookies

Usamos cookies para análise para melhorar nosso site. Leia nossa política de privacidade para mais informações.
Recusar