South Korean and US military officers shaking hands symbolizing the transfer of wartime operational control.
South Korean and US military officers shaking hands symbolizing the transfer of wartime operational control.
Imagem gerada por IA

South Korea eyes wartime operational control transfer as early as next year

Imagem gerada por IA

South Korea believes the final verification stage for regaining wartime operational control from the United States can be completed in about one year, potentially allowing the transfer as early as next year, according to a source.

South Korea and the United States are working on the OPCON transfer based on a three-phase assessment framework to verify Seoul's ability to lead combined forces. They are currently in the second stage of validating full operational capability and plan to complete it by the end of this year to announce a target year.

A defense ministry official told reporters on Wednesday that if the target year is decided during this year's FOC validation, they will move straight to the FMC phase, entering the final stage of the transfer upon its completion.

Realization remains uncertain due to the need for close coordination with Washington, where the United States is believed to take a more cautious approach. The allies plan to finalize a roadmap to accelerate the transition before this year's Security Consultative Meeting.

During senior-level talks last week, Seoul explained its bid to secure civilian access control over a section of the Demilitarized Zone.

O que as pessoas estão dizendo

Initial reactions on X highlight South Korea's optimism about completing OPCON transfer verification by next year, with media noting close alignment between Seoul and Washington on the timeline and no major gaps in discussions.

Artigos relacionados

Gen. Xavier Brunson announces US-South Korea OPCON transfer roadmap targeting early 2029, with allied flags and soldiers.
Imagem gerada por IA

South Korea, US aim to meet OPCON transfer conditions by early 2029

Reportado por IA Imagem gerada por IA

U.S. Forces Korea Commander Gen. Xavier Brunson said Wednesday that a roadmap has been delivered to the Pentagon to meet wartime operational control (OPCON) transfer conditions no later than the second quarter of fiscal year 2029. This targets January to March 2029 as the allies pursue a conditions-based transition. Brunson stressed the need to satisfy all conditions.

South Korea and the United States have agreed to strengthen cooperation in areas of mutual security interest, including the transfer of wartime operational control and alliance modernization.

Reportado por IA

Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back will visit the United States next week to meet U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth. The allies plan to discuss wartime operational control transfer and other pending security issues.

South Korean Vice Foreign Minister for Strategy and Intelligence Jeong Yeon-doo said Seoul and Washington are working toward "normalization" of intelligence sharing after a meeting in Washington. The efforts follow US reports of partially curbing access over Unification Minister Chung Dong-young's mention of a North Korean uranium site in Kusong. Seoul insists the information was open-source.

Reportado por IA

South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back lodged a complaint immediately with the US Forces Korea commander after receiving a report of the standoff last week. The incident involved around 10 US F-16 fighters taking off from Osan Air Base and flying west over the Yellow Sea toward China's air defence identification zone, prompting Beijing to scramble its own jets in a brief face-off. South Korean media highlight this as underscoring Seoul's growing difficulty in balancing ties with security ally the US and top trading partner China.

Este site usa cookies

Usamos cookies para análise para melhorar nosso site. Leia nossa política de privacidade para mais informações.
Recusar