NCAA Approves Baylor's Midseason Addition of Ex-NBA Draftee James Nnaji Amid Eligibility Shifts

The NCAA has cleared 21-year-old center James Nnaji, a 2023 NBA draft pick whose rights are held by the New York Knicks, to join Baylor University's basketball team midseason. Never having signed an NBA contract or played in the G League, the 7-foot Nigerian with pro experience in Europe fills a critical frontcourt need for the 9-2 Bears and exemplifies evolving rules drawing criticism from coaches like Tom Izzo.

Baylor University announced on December 24, 2025, the signing of James Nnaji, drafted 31st overall by the Detroit Pistons in the 2023 NBA Draft. His rights were traded to the Charlotte Hornets and later to the New York Knicks in the Karl-Anthony Towns deal. At 251 pounds with a 7-foot-7 wingspan, Nnaji spent three seasons professionally in Europe, including with FC Barcelona in the EuroLeague and loans in Spain and Turkey. He appeared in the 2025 NBA Summer League for the Knicks (3.2 points, 3.6 rebounds per game) but never signed a standard NBA contract or played G League regular-season games, preserving his NCAA eligibility.

The NCAA's approval marks a rare exception allowing a former pro and draftee to compete collegiately. Nnaji is the first NBA draftee in decades—and the first years after selection—to join a college roster. Earlier this year, the NCAA granted two years of eligibility to Thierry Darlan after his G League stint (5.9 points, 4.0 rebounds per game).

The move addresses Baylor's frontcourt crisis after Juslin Bodo Bodo's season-ending arm injury, with no rotation player over 6-foot-9. Currently 9-2, the Bears expect Nnaji to debut soon, possibly against Arlington Baptist on December 29. Coach Scott Drew said, "James is a really talented young player with a ton of potential, and we’re excited to welcome him to the Baylor family. Any time you add someone to the roster midseason, it’s going to be a process to get them acclimated and up to speed, but we know James will do everything he can to make it a seamless transition."

This reflects a broader trend of ex-pros joining programs like Louisville, BYU, Utah, and Oklahoma. Critics, including Michigan State's Tom Izzo, decry it as "embarrassing" and "ridiculous." "If we want to make it pro ball, then let’s make it pro ball," Izzo said, arguing it disadvantages young American players, favors 23-year-olds over 18-year-olds, and contributes to veteran coaches' retirements like Jay Wright and Mike Krzyzewski. He also flagged loopholes for NBA two-way contract players seeking NIL deals. An NCAA spokesperson noted each case is evaluated individually amid ongoing legal challenges.

Связанные статьи

Dynamic illustration of top 2026 NBA Draft prospects AJ Dybantsa (BYU), Darryn Peterson (Kansas), and Cameron Boozer (Duke) in action on the court.
Изображение, созданное ИИ

2026 NBA mock drafts highlight talented prospect class

Сообщено ИИ Изображение, созданное ИИ

As the NCAA regular season ends, mock drafts for the 2026 NBA Draft spotlight a deep class of freshmen prospects. AJ Dybantsa of BYU leads projections with his scoring prowess, while Darryn Peterson of Kansas and Cameron Boozer of Duke round out the top trio. A SB Nation poll names Dybantsa the most exciting future NBA player to watch.

BYU forward AJ Dybantsa announced Thursday that he is entering the 2026 NBA Draft, where he is projected as the potential No. 1 overall pick. The 6-foot-9 standout led the nation in scoring during his lone college season with averages of 25.5 points, 6.8 rebounds and 3.7 assists. He departs after helping the Cougars to a 23-12 record and an NCAA Tournament appearance.

Сообщено ИИ

The NBA released its early entry list for the 2026 draft on Monday, featuring just 71 underclassmen—the lowest number since 2003. USC guard Alijah Arenas, son of former NBA player Gilbert Arenas, entered without a public announcement but reportedly withdrew hours later to return for his sophomore season. Top prospects like Kansas' Darryn Peterson and Duke's Cameron Boozer declared in the final days.

Dylan Mingo, a five-star combo guard ranked No. 8 in the class of 2026, announced his commitment to the University of North Carolina on Tuesday during ESPN's First Take. The 6-foot-5 prospect from Long Island Lutheran High School in New York chose the Tar Heels over Baylor, Washington and Penn State. Mingo becomes UNC's second top-25 recruit in the class of 2026, joining Maximo Adams.

Сообщено ИИ

NBA 2K26 is set to launch Season 5 on February 20, 2026, introducing college-themed content from 16 universities. The update features jerseys, courts, and player cards for both current stars and alumni across men's and women's programs. This release previews a full college basketball experience planned for early 2027.

Этот сайт использует куки

Мы используем куки для анализа, чтобы улучшить наш сайт. Прочитайте нашу политику конфиденциальности для дополнительной информации.
Отклонить