Subcontracted workers target POSCO, Hyundai Mobis and Hanwha Ocean as yellow envelope law takes effect

On March 10, 2026, the first day the so-called yellow envelope law took effect, unionized subcontracted workers targeted major firms like POSCO, Hyundai Mobis and Hanwha Ocean, demanding negotiations over wages and working conditions. Unions threatened strikes if talks are refused, while companies expressed caution within legal bounds.

The yellow envelope law, amendments to Articles 2 and 3 of the Trade Union and Labor Relations Adjustment Act, took effect on March 10, 2026, after a six-month grace period. The law expands the definition of an employer to include principal contractors exercising significant control over subcontracted workers' conditions, even without direct contracts, obligating them to negotiate.

On that day, unionized subcontracted workers from the Korean Metal Workers' Union protested outside POSCO Center in Seoul, urging the steelmaker to join collective bargaining. POSCO has faced Supreme Court rulings deeming its use of outsourced labor illegal at plants in Pohang, North Gyeongsang Province, and Gwangyang, South Jeolla Province. Workers demanded direct employment for regular tasks and an end to discrimination. A union representative said, “POSCO should apologize for the illegal use of subcontracted workers and take part in talks to convert them into full-time employees.”

The union of Hyundai IHL, a Hyundai Mobis subsidiary supplying car lamps, rallied outside the parent firm's Seoul headquarters, opposing the planned sale of the lamp business to France’s OPmobility announced earlier this year for business streamlining. Expressing job security concerns, they demanded direct wage talks. The union stated, “Hyundai Mobis is our real employer.”

Subcontracted workers at Hanwha Ocean delivered a letter after a march organized by the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions in downtown Seoul, demanding the shipbuilder join wage negotiations. They urged bonus payments to employees of Welliv, which runs cafeterias and amenities at the Geoje Island shipyard, after Hanwha Ocean excluded non-in-house subcontractors. The Welliv union said, “Our negotiations with Hanwha Ocean should mark the beginning of the revised Trade Union Act taking root.”

The Korean Confederation of Trade Unions (KCTU) has sent bargaining notices for nearly 140,000 subcontracted workers and plans protests next month if refused. A KCTU official told The Korea Times, “In line with the purpose of the law, the real employer must come forward... If the real employer still refuses, we are planning protests that will directly target them next month.” The Federation of Korean Trade Unions (FKTU) emphasized protecting over 7 million precarious workers, per Secretary-General Ryu Ki-seop.

The conglomerates remained cautious, stating they would hold talks within legal boundaries. An insider said, “Each company is trying to avoid being the first to sit down with subcontracted workers.” Business group Korea Enterprises Federation called for objective determinations by the government and labor commission. A day earlier, KG Steel absorbed two subsidiaries for managerial efficiency, seen as preempting disputes.

Awọn iroyin ti o ni ibatan

Protesting Samsung workers outside factory amid strike fears
Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

Samsung Electronics labor talks break down, strike fears rise

Ti AI ṣe iroyin Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

Wage negotiations between Samsung Electronics and its labor union collapsed on Wednesday, raising fears of a major strike starting May 21 involving more than 40,000 workers.

South Korea's Chungnam National Labor Relations Commission recognized the 'employer status' of principal contractors for the first time since a new labor law took effect. The ruling stems from disputes over posting negotiation requests from subcontractor unions. The Yellow Envelope Act expands the employer definition to firms substantially controlling working conditions.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

Samsung Electronics and its union failed to reach a wage deal on May 13 despite government mediation, increasing the chance of an 18-day strike from May 21. The union demands performance bonuses equal to 15 percent of operating profit.

Samsung Electronics' labor union announced on Friday that it will resume wage negotiations with management next week. The decision follows the breakdown of initial talks over bonuses and acceptance of government mediation requests. Unionized workers had threatened an 18-day general strike starting May 21.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

Unionized workers at Samsung Electronics will vote from Monday through March 18 on whether to launch an 18-day strike from May 21 to June 7. The vote comes amid controversy over warnings of disadvantages for those who do not participate. It would mark the second walkout since the company's founding.

Unionized workers at Samsung Biologics, the biotech arm of Samsung Group, extended their historic first strike since the company's 2011 founding into a second day on May 2, 2026. The walkout over wages and other issues shows no signs of resolution after the Friday launch.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

Labor Minister Yassierli has issued Permenaker No. 7 of 2026 on Outsourcing Work. The rules restrict contract worker recruitment to specific sectors to protect employees. The regulation was released ahead of Labor Day on May 1, 2026.

 

 

 

Ojú-ìwé yìí nlo kuki

A nlo kuki fun itupalẹ lati mu ilọsiwaju wa. Ka ìlànà àṣírí wa fun alaye siwaju sii.
Kọ